I Forge Iron

ID an Anvil

Picture of the base?  But with the weight on the left and the serial number on the right I'd say Trenton, made 1931-1935 

Top of the line anvil and in top condition well worth upper prices here in the USA, if it passed the ring and bounce tests. Where you are at I can't make a conjecture on the worth as I don't know that datum.

Thanks for the profile update with specific  info; west coast doesn't narrow things down on the world wide web; I know folks on the West Coast of Australia and the West Coast of England  and the West Coast of South America for instance...

If it passes the bounce test and ring test that anvil would go high in your area!

5 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Thanks for the profile update with specific  info; west coast doesn't narrow things down on the world wide web; I know folks on the West Coast of Australia and the West Coast of England  and the West Coast of South America for instance...

If it passes the bounce test and ring test that anvil would go high in your area!

Profile shows San Diego, do you see something else?

Thanks for the information regardless, this one really stumped me.

It does have a very nice ring, will check the bounce tonight when I get home.

Welcome aboard DSM, glad to have you.

Looks like a SWEET score of an anvil, condition looks to be excellent. When testing the ring is secondary by a good margin, some top shelf anvils say "thwank" or even "thwap" when struck and there are some cast iron junk ASOs that sound pretty darned good, even have an okay rebound but they're still junk. What really matters is how much energy the anvil returns from the blow and that's what is making a bearing or light hammer bounce.

The rebound is the litmus test but don't forget to listen to it talk. What you're listening for is a sudden change in the anvil's voice. bounce or rap a pattern over the entire anvil's face the tone will change as you move away from the center above the waist, she'll sing louder and the rebound will diminish gradually with the changing thickness. This is normal and to be expected. ANY sudden change indicates a dead (damage) spot, perhaps the hard face is delaminated, the weld failing or maybe some idiot mook (real feelings cleaned up) used the anvil for a place to heat something with a torch, its not unusual to see cutting torch damage caused by adjectives deleted idiots.

Anyway, watch the bearing bounce and listen to it her sing. Anvils talk to you as you work as do all tools, it's up to us to listen and learn  what they're telling us.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty thank you for the long explanation. I will try and video the process tonight when I do the bounce and corresponding ring tests. I will put a link up to the video for others to see and if they so want provide comment. I got this from a friend who's husband passed away and he was a blacksmith. If this is truly a valuable Anvil then I will return it to her and take the other one which is much smaller and has a damaged horn, as I can not afford a $1500 anvil at this time (saving up for the mill).

$1,500? How much does it weigh? It'd have to weigh 300 lbs. if anvils sold for $5 a LB. you might offer her payments but that beautiful old lady is a treasure many of us are suffering anvil envy for right now. Do you have pics of the other anvil?

What do you plan of making? 

Oh, if you're not sure of eyeball estimating the rebound dropping the bearing ball from the 10" mark on a ruler or tape  makes it easy to make good estimates as a %.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sweet anvil! I love Trenton anvils. Looks like the guy radiused a section of the edge ( which is a Good thing for many projects). 

That will be a great anvil to use, just don't abuse it. It needs continual use to be happy :) 

so what I think I'm reading is you haven't set on a price yet? 

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

$1,500? How much does it weigh? It'd have to weigh 300 lbs. if anvils sold for $5 a LB. you might offer her payments but that beautiful old lady is a treasure many of us are suffering anvil envy for right now. Do you have pics of the other anvil?

What do you plan of making? 

Oh, if you're not sure of eyeball estimating the rebound dropping the bearing ball from the 10" mark on a ruler or tape  makes it easy to make good estimates as a %.

Frosty The Lucky.

I do a lot of fabrication and have always wanted an anvil for when I have to form steel or AL parts instead of using the one on back of my vise. I am not a smith by any means (Tig welder and fabricator) so this is prolly overkill for my needs but it was no nice could not pass it up.

I believe it weights 150# and these things are stupid expensive in CA.

NAW, it's not overkill for a fab shop. Once you use it a little bit you'll be addicted to making steel do your bidding, few things are as satisfying as making STEEL exhibit it's plastic nature under your hand. Next and better yet is using tools and hardware you make with your own hands. Wont be long and fabrication will be what you used to do.  ;)

Honor his memory and learn to use it and put it to work. Maybe make a little plaque for the anvil stand in memory. Don't forget to make his wife some nice forged things. Coat hooks are good learning projects, when you can make half a dozen that match well enough t put on a finished board and hang on the wall it's time to move to the next learning project.

Frosty The Lucky.

Will do, I scour Death Valley for the raw materials I use in these kinds of sculptures. I go through trash heaps and such that have just been left behind in the desert for the pulley's and wheels I use for bases etc. Biggest project was a table I built using tractor wheels for the top and bottom with motorcycle transmission gears making up the legs.

8 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Put a hammer in that minion's hand and it'll be a memory of her special minion.

That is precisely what I have in mind, the apron is going to be a Pita to make though

:lol:

Not to be a frump button, but taking anything out of Death Valley, a National Park, is a federal crime. All the old mines, their related equipment such as wheels and gears, anything and everything, is protected.

2 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Not to be a frump button, but taking anything out of Death Valley, a National Park, is a federal crime. All the old mines, their related equipment such as wheels and gears, anything and everything, is protected.

You are correct, I just use that as the Geographic land mark. I go to Cerro Gordo which is a privately owned town, the towns keeper has a large pile of junk that he allows me to scrounge through and the money I pay goes towards to continued upkeep of the town.