I Forge Iron

Please help me ID this 400lb Anvil

2 hours ago, ChrisPTF said:

I don't think your photo posted.

I didn't post any more was just wondering if anyone else that have a idea what brand it may be based on the photos I had posted before. I guess its about impossible to tell without a stamp of some sort. Shame they didn't mark it but I guess they never thought someone would care a hundred years later lol.

While it's nice and fun to learn the history of a useful old tool, there comes a point where you just gatta Use it. There are two kinds of anvils. Good ones and not good ones. ;) well, aside from variations in shapes to fit what you use it to make. 

4 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Trenton.. as already said.. 

Are you going to do an epic reveal and tell us?

LOL no a few were on the fence to what it was. Was just hoping someone who may know the differences between it and a Haybudden and Trenton may know more what to look at.

Just now, Daswulf said:

While it's nice and fun to learn the history of a useful old tool, there comes a point where you just gatta Use it. There are two kinds of anvils. Good ones and not good ones. ;) well, aside from variations in shapes to fit what you use it to make. 

Yea its getting use and it's a good one will outlast me and its more than what I need so it don't really matter what it is.

2 minutes ago, John09040 said:

LOL no a few were on the fence to what it was. Was just hoping someone who may know the differences between it and a Haybudden and Trenton may know more what to look at.

I all ready told you what the differences are..   

I'll tell it again in case you missed it...  ;( 

A Hay Budden anvil did not use a Closed die forging press to form the bottom of their anvils.. Never ever, ever...  They used a Crucible steel top forged welded at the waist with wrought iron rods.. Each rod put into place while they were still at welding temperature... They were then cut off and done again..  This formed a hollow in the bottom but this hollow was only lightly formed and was pretty roughly done.. 

1st gen used a wrought iron body with traditional forged feet with a steel plate..  2nd gen used a steel forged body with wrought iron welded onto it from bars.. You can see the anvil body in the base..  Gen 3 used the same as Gen 2 but changed the shape slightly..  Gen 4 was short lived as an experiment and was a close die forging of solid steel.. 

Trenton on the other hand,  Close die forged their bases and used a wrought iron  with a steel face plate.. 

The early 1st gen Hay Buddens and the later American made Trentons had the same basic kind of shape.. That was about it..  After like 1901 Hay Budden moved into the Second gen.. 

Again the base on your anvil is a closed die forging or else it was well worked..  Put a die grinder on it and see what kind of sparks it shoots.. 

Wrought iron or steel? 

I'm kinda surprised that Blackfrog hasn't weighed in so i will. The underside of the base is an early Trenton style before they went to the caplet style which Trenton and Arm and Hammer both used.

Hay Budden had a inch rim around the edge to provide even support and to prevent tipping  but it was a very shallow build up and subject to being lost over time.  Early Trentons had a similar edge but it went much deeper and couldn't be lost.  Its  a Trenton and a nice one at that. I have had several of the early Trentons with an identical base. 

I hope that satisfies your curiosity? 

On 5/11/2018 at 7:53 PM, Fatfudd said:

I'm kinda surprised that Blackfrog hasn't weighed in so i will. The underside of the base is an early Trenton style before they went to the caplet style which Trenton and Arm and Hammer both used.

Hay Budden had a inch rim around the edge to provide even support and to prevent tipping  but it was a very shallow build up and subject to being lost over time.  Early Trentons had a similar edge but it went much deeper and couldn't be lost.  Its  a Trenton and a nice one at that. I have had several of the early Trentons with an identical base. 

Yes I have learned a lot from you guys and appreciate you guys taking time to explain it all. 

• 5 years later...
On 5/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Because there are many many ways of mounting it where that doesn't make any difference?  Many times they were more of a selling point than a positive.  "Anvils were used for over 2000 years before they started putting a depression in their base---but you better get one with it!"

I don't mean to offend, and certainly don't find any fun in poking holes in your "selling point" theory.  And maybe I missed it further down, but since this comment was from 2018, I'm a little shocked that I'm the first to chime in!  

2000 year old anvils were almost certainly going to be stake anvils (a block of metal of the desired form with a spike at the bottom for driving into large tree stumps).  There are many european anvils still in existance from 500 or even 600 years ago that have feet.  And at one point I've seen pictures of a type called a bridge anvil (like an anvil and stand all in one that had an open arch under the main mass), and I think those started appearing in the late roman empire.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Daswulf said:

Use it. There are two kinds of anvils. Good ones and not good ones.

Sadly? I think this used to be the case. 

So many of the old examples in prestine shape have been plagued by new users with little regard for proper etiquette and slamming the hammer into the face. 

It's the reason I recommend buying new. 

Or using a hunk of steel until one learns the difference between use and abuse.