I Forge Iron

Mousehole Anvil find

I've been using the TPAAAT actively in the past week which as been fun.  Hasn't turned anything up yet (yes, I know, 1 week is nothing), but this Mousehole did just pop up on CL.  It's not a huge value at $4.26/lb ($550 for 129 lbs), but to be honest it's by far the cheapest decent quality anvil that I've seen recently in Central Texas.  I haven't had a chance to see it and test it in person yet, but the sway in the picture was the first thing that struck my eye.  It doesn't look crazy but it is noticeable.  Also, there's the chip.  Pritchel holes puts it > 1835 I think, but can't make out anything else from the picture of the stamp to tell anything more about it.  Any thoughts without any other info beside the pix?  Thanks in advance.

00q0q_4rQr0gSZ5Dv_1200x900.jpg

00w0w_6LXVQzhjPIx_1200x900.jpg

Minus the money part, and pending a rebound test and ring test around the face to make sure it isn't delaminating, ( doesn't really look like it in the picture but test it) It looks like a perfectly usable anvil. The sway is Not an issue and can help in straightening stock. The chip can be worked around as there is plenty of edge space. The rest of the face is in fine usable condition. 

So if it checks out and you are happy with the price go for it. ( always haggle. ;) ) 

Then, when you buy it anvils will pop up everywhere from the TPAAAT lol. 

8 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Then, when you buy it anvils will pop up everywhere from the TPAAAT lol. 

Thanks, Daswulf.  I hope to test it out this weekend.  And yes, I suspect that will happen.  If so, I may just end up with several anvils.  Ha!

;) the more the merrier. 

And you can always upgrade and or have more than one. I have two ~130#ers set up in my shop and have one 100#er ready for when I start doing demos. Still waiting for " that one" ~200#er to pop up at the right price. Till then there's little I can't do with what I have. Around 130# is a fine weight. 

Use the sway as a bargaining point and explain that it has a sway because the main body was made to soft unlike other  higher quality anvils that remain flat through the years. It could get you into the $3/lb range. 

Thanks, Marc, I have been.  JHM 120lb is $630, TFS 100lb is $570, NC 112lb is $440.  So yes, all in the same size and price range as this Mousehole.  The TFS 100lb is my backup as it's available locally for pickup and I've used them before.  But as I've been hunting, I've grown fond of the gnarliness and uniqueness of the old, used anvils.  I only wish they could tell their stories.

Well, I got it for $460 ($3.57/lb) ... not a steal, but like I said, a decent deal for this area lately.  Sway is about 1/8 in.  Ring is good and rebound is OK (didn't have a ball, so used a hammer), no delamination. The pritchel hole is interesting.  It's counterbored but the inner diameter hole is very thin (i.e., the hole at the bottom is full diameter).  Does this mean it was added later to hold a specific object?  I see "M&" stamped but I don't really see the "H", but rather something like a lowercase "d" a bit further over.

IMG_20180505_093057799.jpg

IMG_20180505_093630839.jpg

IMG_20180505_093754782.jpg

IMG_20180505_094142496.jpg

Check the underside to see if it had been full sized and then sleeved; but barring dating through the stamping I would wonder if someone tried to drill a pritchel to retrofit an earlier anvil without one. Stepped drilled and got to thinking that that was enough!

John, no, I've got the anvil, it's definitely a counterbored hole.  Tried to get some good pix from the underside.  It's so thin that I can easily drill it out if I so desire.  But want to learn about the history and purpose before I do that.

IMG_20180505_122506050.jpg

IMG_20180505_122645461.jpg

IMG_20180505_122728970.jpg

It's definitely part of the anvl, not an insert or something stuck.  It won't punch out.  You'll just have to trust me, you have to see it in person.  Maybe it's welded in?  That said, IIMG_20180506_000313523.thumb.jpg.e7345a5f9b85e1d6e534ed98a4b6a675.jpg now see the crack that runs through the entire thickness of the heel and into the pritchel hole and that was repaired.  The flash on the camera really highlights it.  Unraveling the mystery ...

IMG_20180506_000345271.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery solved.  It was a ~ 3/8" tall insert welded in from the top.  I drilled it out and when I got through the weld the rest of the insert fell out, leaving a clean, original hole.  I suspect it was put in there as part of the crack repair since the crack runs the entire thickness of the heel into the hole.  Let's see if my heel stays together.

• 4 weeks later...