I Forge Iron

New side blast with water tuyere & bosh (pic heavy)

JHCC

Another observation: switching to bituminous eliminated the problem of clinker forming around the tuyere; it now forms almost entirely at the bottom of the firebowl, and there's a lot less of it.I'm wondering if the anthracite has a higher silica content? Or if the higher heat was melting the sand around the bowl? Food for thought....

This problem with anthracite has been a thorn in my side.  It is manageable but I hate how the ash and clinker surround the tuyere.  Soon I will be making the drive to buy some bags of bituminous to run a test of how it works in my forge.  I’ll accept clinker buildup on the bottom of the fire pot all day as long as I can create the high fires I do with anthracite.  Hoping to get some bituminous before your visit.  We shall see.

• 5 months later...

Couple of updates: the hood was sitting right on top of the fire, so I added a short section of heavy pipe (actually a piece of scuba tank) to lift it up a bit. Interesting to note that the fire burned a hole in its front, but not the front of the tuyere: a convincing demonstration that the water-cooled tuyere is working nicely. 

I also just added some pieces of 1” thick chimney tile as a sort of “deck” around the outside. This should alleviate problems with the sand getting mixed into the coal. 

CB9B983F-2CB8-4E4B-930F-BD4B991CF6C7.jpeg

Also added a deadman switch with safety cover to the blower. It’s just on/off, though,  so I’m still using the variac to control the speed. 

714BC465-4FB4-48FA-951E-B08CAB2E593F.jpeg

(Another good find from the industrial surplus place.)