I Forge Iron

Info Request DIY Ribbon Burner Forge Build

Daguy

10 hours ago, Daguy said:

I've been thinking.  What about the NASA Burner? Naturally Aspirated, Several Apertures.  It's not as accurately descriptive as Multi-port, but you gotta admit "NASA Burner" is a pretty cool name. 

Not bad, this IS a HOT space program after all. Still . . . close but no cigar.

4 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Isn't that a bit like asking what's the best blower for your naturally aspirated burner?

I think that was CRS's point.

Yeah, that is silly, NA burners suck on their own.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Daguy said:

Gave it a shot . . .

Nobody else tried till you did. Keep it up please, " the NASA Burner is pretty sexy and sounding better every time I say it. The name "MONA Burner" pointed out the terms don't need to be in the order I started out with. MONA wasn't a bad one either, thank you. More please. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

NANO - Naturally Aspirated, Numerous openings?

Or how about the “XXXX good burner":  Drafted Air, Multiple Nozzlette

You got me chasing a squirrel again

or Drawn Air

So I guess that one wont work, sorry if anyone was offended.  Not my intent.

Well If I'm going to sort through all the available threads for the information I need for this build I'll be starting the build in about three to five years. 

Since I want to start sooner than that, let me set out what I've gleaned so far and see if you experienced smiths think I have enough on the ball to get started with the build.  Then I can continue to read and learn theory while making progress on the project as well.  I've included a few questions:

1)  Build smaller than I think I need.  At this point I'll probably use a small Helium or Freon tank. Prep shell with burner port, legs, openings, etc before even starting the lining process.  Have the burner built so  I  can  use  it  to  cure  the  liner  layers  as  I  go.    I'm  shooting  for  a  finished  chamber  size  of  5"-6" diameter X 10" -11" long, with a kiln shelf for a floor.  This should give me an interior volume of well under 300 cubic inches(app 283" before  flattening the floor with Kiln shelf). At least the front opening should be the size of the chamber to fit max size work-piece. You can always close it down with firebrick.  Back opening about 2.5" tall.

2)  2-1" thick layers of ceramic blanket.  Rigidize 1st layer, let dry.  Lay next layer, rigidize, dry.  Do I need to "Heat Cure" at this point, or just let it dry well?  Cut in the opening for the burner, Leaving clearance for 1/2 inch coating of refractory(so, 1" extra wide, 1" extra long).  Do I lay blanket under the floor or do I need something more solid?  Can I just use the Kast-O-Lite to cast a floor on top of ceramic blanket??

3) 1/2" layer Kast-O-Lite refractory, including the burner port. Build a charcoal fire in it to dry out the refractory. (How long should this be kept going to be sure the refractory is properly cured?) (Once cured, would this make a good pizza oven? Stromboli?)

4)  2 coats of ITC100 IR reflective, firing the forge in between coats (Again, How long)

5)  I plan to pretty much duplicate Frosty's 2" X 2" X 7" Ribbon Burner fed by a 3/4" T-Burner setup to Naturally Aspirate it (As described in the "Naturally Aspirated Ribbon Burner. Photo heavy" thread). I would like to side mount the burner to avoid the heat escaping the forge heating it up during cool down. is there any advantage to having the burner point in at an angle, say 15 degrees up to promote swirl in the forge?  Or would a straight horizontal feed work just as well?  Or is there an advantage to mounting in the  top pointed at the kiln plate and, hence, the floor and the work-piece?

Any suggestions for particular threads that hold pertinent info that should be read before starting? Considerations I'm missing? Advice for the Clueless Newbie?

Thanks for all the input

Daguy

On 5/7/2018 at 11:56 PM, Daguy said:

NANO - Naturally Aspirated, Numerous openings?

Or how about the “XXXX good burner":  Drafted Air, Multiple Nozzlette

You got me chasing a squirrel again

or Drawn Air

So I guess that one wont work, sorry if anyone was offended.  Not my intent.

I like the way you think, I'll bet you're good at puns. 

Rex Price has a NANO  burner so it's out. 

Drafted Air Multiple Nozzle isn't an allowed name on Iforge. However NAMN might work.

Ah, everybody gets xxxxed once in a while we just try to keep the language clean.

Squirrels need to be chased or they don't feel welcome to supper.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

I would be very careful that the burner head matches up with the volume of the forge. I'm not talking about whether or not the burner can adequately heat the forge. I'm talking about whether the forge is big enough to adequately combust the gas. These burners were originally designed to heat gas blowing equipment, which are larger than forges.

An oversized burner head on an undersized forge might result in a dragon breath problem, yes?

On 6/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, Mikey98118 said:

An oversized burner head on an undersized forge might result in a dragon breath problem, yes?

OR over pressured like some blown designs showing a couple feet of BIG dragon's breath from both ends. 

The NA version of multi outlet burner is relatively sensitive to back pressure so it needs a reasonable balance between chamber and burner size. If you're not sure experiment with a brick pile forge. I do and I'm still getting things wrong.

And that boys and girls is why I do NOT have a chamber size recommendation for the size ribbon burners I've built. 

Frosty The Lucky.