I Forge Iron

Feelin' a bit crabby

I liked those 'rock animals' that Biggundoctor posted in my stone bird (q.v.) thread. Found a rock that looked something like the shape of a crab. Some cut down pliers made the nippers and a bit of forged rebar made the other eight legs. The eyes are some brass knobs off something.

Just a bit of fun really:

crab2.JPG

crab1.JPG

Thanks for the comments. Just had to try another one today, but not using a rock this time. I found a dome shaped thing in the scrap. Not sure what it is (was) but it looks a lot like the caps that fit on old Cat dozer radiators. Anyway, it made a good shell for a crab. I thought it may have been cast so I bolted a piece of mild plate to the bottom to take the legs and nippers (more pliers!). As it turned out, it was weldable.

That'll do for crabs now. Not crabby any more.

crab4.JPG

crab5.JPG

crab6.JPG

Cool again! You could give it a mood depending on which way the slots in the screws are arranged.  Slanted down towards the center for a suspicious squinty eyed crab, upwards for a surprised crab. flat for a snoozing crab. Hmmmm?

Just thought of this one, before hitting send even! One screw slanted up on the outside for Spock the Vulcan crab.

Frosty The Lucky.