I Forge Iron

How to Forge a Frying Pan

Consider this a 4K video blueprint. 

I went to Jymm Hoffman's shop and filmed how to forge a frying pan. Here's a 10 minute instruction video:

Video contains some short scenes that may be objectionable to some viewers.

Please forgive the PUBG references, our YouTube audience is much younger. :D 

What do you all think?

That's awesome. He fried eggs in a new pan and they did not weld themselves to the bottom. Impressive. Cool video. Not so sure of the mask, but if that's your gimmic then carry on.    I wonder what that creature is in Jims slack tub at 5:12 . Thumbs up from me on the vid.

Nice demonstration on the use of a tank bottom for dishing and appropriate use of a post vise!

SCA armourers have been using the tank bottoms for decades now; I hope there won't be a run on them driving the price up!  (Tip: find a hydro test place and try to work a deal to just buy cut off tank sections...if you buy a complete tank at the scrapyard be very careful that it's empty before cutting into it!!!! AND NEVER MESS WITH AN ACETYLENE TANK!   The top section of a tank can make a nice bell.)

Thanks for the upload that's a really cool project!

Anyone know how sheet metal pans compare to a cast iron pan? My family is really big on outdoor cooking, grilling, and campfire cooking and use a LOT of cast iron. These could be a gift option but im curious about any similarities or differences. 

Carbon steel pans are the mainstay of classic restaurant kitchens. I have a steel saute pan from Matfer that I got from a restaurant supply place many years ago that I use all the time. Care and feeding is basically the same, although a steel pan is lighter and less brittle than a cast iron pan of the same size.

Take a look at this article from Serious Eats for more info. 

Great article thank you very much! I needed something like that to show my family, who seems to think cast iron has magical properties nothing else does! We got a nice stainless pan set for our wedding and my only complaint is they get SO HOT compared to the teflon i'm used to. but with the right amount of butter nothing sticks!

Another nice thing about carbon steel pans which is not true for some stainless pans is that they work on any kind of cooktop. Some stainless (and all copper, aluminum, and glass) pans don't work on induction cooktops, as they are non-magnetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice vid, already got the wooden shoes (Dutch Klompen);) and the long ballpeen hammer, and now I finally know where I can use the bottom of the old gas cylinder for. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hans

Nice vid, already got the wooden shoes (Dutch Klompen);) and the long ballpeen hammer, and now I finally know where I can use the bottom of the old gas cylinder for. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hans