I Forge Iron

where are the tools?

Other than my hammer, anvil and electric blower. I've made all the tongs I use, chisels, punches, gas forge, twisting wrench, etc. It's part of what I like about blacksmithing. If I don't have a tool, I make it! At this point in my skill, the tool may be pretty ugly looking but is usually at least functional.

Tailgating at hammer-ins and guild meetings, flea markets, online forums, farm and equipment auctions (actually, any auction that advertises old tools), antique stores (yes, sometimes a deal can be found there), steam thresher reunions, gas and steam engine reunions, any other old equipment gathering, metal recycling businesses (junk yards), thrifty-nickel type ad papers, advertising for tools, old hardware stores, relative's farms, non-relatives farms, friends, family.... more I'm sure

Garage sales, been going for about 30 yrs. Many anvils ,a couple of coal forges, lots of hammers and tongs, a few leg vices and lots of other tools, but we (my wife and I) go early and often, we don't buy very many new things. Ebay and craigs list are good too.

I go to a couple of fleamarkets and one junkstore when I can.

I seldom see a good anvil for sale around here. Occasionally, a post vise or a handcrank blower can be found.

All kinds of hammers, chisels, & punches can be found here,.....usually pretty inexpensive.

I used to go to some auctions, but usually there are too many bidders who want 'the good stuff' even more than I do. No bargains to be had.

Ime finding stuff by doing demos.... the people come by and say "ive got a anvil i want to get rid of " or" ive got a bunch of old tools leftover from my dad" stuff like that ...also haunt craigs list and ask friends... I got my best deal on a anvil from a friend talking to one of his friends...

except for my anvils and post vises and a few of my grandpa and fathers tools, I make most of mine. I have this passion for making tools that has also spilled over to my woodworking and machinist tools also, as well as making special tools for many other trades and craftsman.

The slow time during the dead of winter was always a time to repair, build and modify tools etc for my own use. When a customer did come in during any slow time, I was always busy, either doing something for someone else or for myself. I makes for a good front, looking busy, and it also payed dividends in that I was making it easier for me to do certain jobs and/or also increasing my tool inventory.

• 2 weeks later...

markb, I have been going to garage sales in the Eugene/Springfield and surrounding rural areas for over 20 years and haven't seen an anvil yet! What gives! Actually, I did see a very LARGE 200+ pound Peter Wright at a garage sale once. It was in the barn where the sale was being held but unfortunately was not for sale. It belonged to the guys dad who had long past and he said he used it "once in a blue moon" to "straighten stuff out". It was in perfect condition. :(

Chris,I must say most of what I have found was in the '80s before , ebay and "antiques road show" which raised peoples awareness of old stuff.
I did see a leg vice for $35.00 in a collective last year, and recently an anvil on craigs list for $500.00.
The best luck at garage sales is to go early, the deals and best stuff go first.

just learn how everything works ( forge, blower etc) as in the principles and make your own original design based on what material you have or can acquire. ..you could then let us look at it and make suggestions. ...then one you have something that can be used as an anvil.. .and a hammer. .learn 2 make tongs. .chisels. .hardies. .pokers rakes hooks. ..stuff like that ... If you want a real anvil. ..just go at fairs and give people homework . as in give em a beer and ure card and tell em 2 ask around . .if they come up with anything say ull give em a cut of the profit. i came up with my 2 anvils like that . and have leads for 2-3 more.( but no money)

With the exception of one anvil and most of my hammers, all my smithing tools are hand made by me or other fellow smiths. I have a hammer that Jr Strasil made and he helped me with my functional tongs ;) I built my belt grinder, tire clutched power hammer, bending fixtures and such. The anvil I made, I cut from heavy plate (4" mild) on a CNC flame cutter and shaped the horn with a torch and grinder. I know not everyone has this opportunity, but if you do or know some one that does, don't pass it up! It just happened to be my job at the time. I'm too cheap to buy tools that I can make LOL But that is a trait I inherited from my father, and like Jr (irnsrgn), I get a lot of satisfaction making tools and using tools that I made myself.