I Forge Iron

Making hardie tools

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'd hate to do something stupid and have not asked the question...

I want to make some hardie tools, one of the first I'd like to make is a fork for holding hot, thin stock. If I take some, say 1/2 inch round bar, heat, double over, beat to remove space between u-bend, reheat and get a good start on the square (on the anvil face), can I drive the reheated tool into the hardie hole to get it to fit "just right" without fear of harming the anvil?

Hot setting your hardies is actualy an exilant way to fit your hardies or any bottom tool. For a tip, consid making your hardies out of jack hammer points. They are S-5 tool steel. Make your square shank below the ring. When you have the shank almost right thenheat to orange and firmly hammer it to the ring then droft it back out promtly. Then turn 90 deg. and repeat all for ways. Most hardie holes are less than square or strait. This will help you create a hardie that will fit as snug all four ways hopefully. Some holes are so far off that the shank has to be shortened some. This is allright. If your collar is well seated on the face of the anvil and rocks very little the shank can be 1 inch long and be fine. Now hols by the shank and forge the top end to what ever tool you desire. Only harden the part that needs to be. All of this is my opinion of course and I have one more. If you ever sell your anvil, sell it with the hardies. A well made set will ad to value and be a selling feature. When you get your new anvil, make a new set. You and the buyer will both be happier for it.

Actually, after searching for months for a decent used anvil in the 200# range in my area (they're scarce out here) I bought a new Nimba forge Gladiator (260# & $$$) so I think that I won't be parting with this anvil til after they haul my carcass off to the incinerator--hopefully a long time from now. Hopefully, I won't be the one selling this anvil....