I Forge Iron

Brand new Hofi Hammer

windancer

AHHH, the magic hammer! Your days of hard work and troubles are over.

Your hair will grow lush. Will never run out of hot water in the middle of a shower. The wife will take the kids for a long vacation. Good times.

I have it for a year now, and had only one death in the family.

Praise the Hofi.

Jim, I also like your blacksmith figure, here is one I forged mostly using a KZ150 air hammer at the last ABANA conference in South Dakota. About the only hand hammering done was riveting parts together. Couple of the fingers got sacrificed due to working a tad bit to cold and broke off, I started with 1-1/2" square stock for the wizard.

072412172326.jpg

That's a good looking hammer windancer. I have seen and read about those for years but I never knew they were scarce. Your comments prompted me to do a quick search and the only thing that turned up was the "Big Blu" hammers. Are they connected with Uri Hofi in any way or just making knock offs of his design? I assumed a hammer made by the man himself would be harder to get but I thought the cast ones would be readily available. Not so. I never really wanted one till  I knew they were hard to find and now I'm mildly obsessed with finding one!

Two people in the US were able to make hammers with the Hofi name on them. To my knowledge no one is able to make hammers with the Hofi name on them at this time.

IForgeIron ordered Hofi hammers directly from Hofi in Israel so we could sell them on the site. Each hammer was made in Hofi's shop. That way Hofi had full control of the quality and workmanship of each hammer. We even made Hofi hammer t-shirts that were included with the hammer. 

Must have been while I was away, Glenn. I for sure would have bought one from you had I known.

Dave

I bought a control kit for my Kinyon style hammer from Ken. Made a 1,000 % difference in usability and control. Were I ever to look for another air hammer I would buy from Ken. First-rate folks to deal with- all of them.

Dave

1 hour ago, TwistedCustoms said:

the only thing that turned up was the "Big Blu" hammers. Are they connected with Uri Hofi in any way or just making knock offs of his design?

This is what Uri Hofi had to say about the Big Blu hammers:

"The BigBlu by Mr. Dean Curfman that also paid twice a visit to my smithy in Israel twice special to learn how to forge the Hofi hammer and to grind it and also to learn about the quick change system for the air hammer die and about forging other tools that he sells now. The air hammer school is also my idea and I was teaching there the '' free form air hammer system''. Mr. Dean Curfmann also took three classes with me at the Ozark and in NY."

See https://www.iforgeiron.com/index2.html/articles/a0019-the-hofi-hammer-r129/ for more details.

Thank you for the info JHCC. I suspected as much just from glancing at the website. The hand hammers are clearly "hofi style" but no mention of their origins. It's interesting about the air hammer school aspect. I love my Brazeal style rounding hammers, one of which was made by Lyle Wynn on a day when Brian happened to be at Lyles shop, the other was made by one of Lyles students. I'm fortunate to have gotten to spend a little time with those guys. Since the curriculum they teach is called "Tools to Make Tools", it is expected that students, once instructed will wander out into the world and duplicate what they learned. That isn't the same as visiting some ones shop under the pretense of wanting to learn and then taking every idea and invention and claiming it for your own.

Glenn, I for one would be interested in getting a Hofi hammer. Let me know if I can do anything to help facilitate making it possible.