I Forge Iron

Forged Rocking Chair WIP

Ranchmanben

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put in 16hrs on this chair with help from a buddy. I pleased it’s to this point but not happy with a lot of the craftsmanship. I sort of feel like I did a ground up restoration on a deuce coupe then shot coat of primer and put bald tires on it to finish it off. I took the pictures from a flattering angle. 

858315D2-5EC2-43D3-AA00-2CB68CD1604C.jpeg

810D9588-7519-4565-ABC4-CFA86C37959E.jpeg

Oh Ben, you can't expect something like this to just go together and be right, it takes tweaking. It's beautiful now once you get it tweaked it'll be stunning.  Seriously, you wouldn't leave a restored deuce coupe in primer, that's just a step in the process.

I'm really digging the project.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank y’all. 

I was pretty worn out when I wrote that last night. Do to the time constraints I’m under, I had to scrap some of the things I was going to do and get absolutely as much as possible done. I had planned on putting wedges through the tenons to hold everything together but after we punched and drifted the first two we realized we didn’t have enough time for that. There were a couple of other small changes that add up to a slightly different chair than I had envisioned. I’d have liked to had about two more weeks to get this done but life happens. Gonna make a few small tweaks today but not as many as are really needed. Also install a seat. 

Regardless if I'd does have some rough edges or imperfections, it looks great. 

Its hand forged, what do you expect. Many people would like it More with the imperfections. 

Nice work. That's a feat forging a chair like that.

It's generally held that you need to make at least 6 of something to get the process down; Not being completely satisfied with the "prototype" is par for the course! (Not being satisfied with the final ones, even if others are raving about them is also par for the course...)

26 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

It's generally held that you need to make at least 6 of something to get the process down; Not being completely satisfied with the "prototype" is par for the course! (Not being satisfied with the final ones, even if others are raving about them is also par for the course...)

Wiser words have never been said.. 

Thomas, you’re exactly right about the first and the final. I need to keep that in mind even if I only ever build one more of these. 

Rockers and seat installed. I ended up doing a wooden seat carver out and covered with hide. 

44FF3A8B-F5BA-4ABB-92F9-9AAC8E060B98.thumb.jpeg.88c4b3dc43ba05b858ed1919cec3f03b.jpeg1A5CDA73-B9B3-4B7C-972F-9ADE77B0533C.thumb.jpeg.1222a032a7546a9e4757bed14cf2cc29.jpegFE2471A2-BC36-47AC-9878-23EB69B0D104.thumb.jpeg.6c7fcc195e5a0c17a80505a3c3ee41f4.jpeg

Wow, that is a great job.. Ben is that you in the Photo?    Really a ABANA photo show case deal..   

Well done..   You have grown into a fine smith..  :) 

Is it a fast rocker?    How much do you figure it weighs?  does it creak at all? 

Thank you very much Jennifer!  That’s me. Figured if I’m going to show it off I’d better show who made it too. It’s a pretty fast rocker, good for the adhd types. When I build another, I’ll do longer rockers with a larger radius. I like a nice, long, slow rock. I haven’t weighed it but I’d guess it ended up around 80lbs, well under what I had hoped for! There’s not a creak in the thing. That’s one of the benefits to having to force everything together before it’s quite ready, everything is in a bind so there’s no give anywhere. I’ll get some more pictures tomorrow showing the good, the bad and the ugly.  It’ll probably be a day or two before I get a chance to post them. 

I like a slow long rock also..   We have swivel rockers on the front porch and they are way to fast but still enjoy a good rocker..  

AGain great job.. Looking forwards to the other build pics..    Now after this build besides the longer rockers what else would you do differently? 

I really liked the way you also radiused the Tenons...    Did you drift the mortises? 

Thanks Das and JHCC. It means a lot to me to have people apreciate something that I put so me effort into. 

Jennifer, every hole/mortise was punched then Drifted. The only holes that were drilled were the ones on the tabs that are welded underneath the seat to secure the wood to the chair. 

I plan on going more into depth on what I would do differently when I post the pictures of the flaws. 

One big thing I’ll try to do differently is not be so hard on myself. I’ll keep in mind that I’m a hobbiest who’s got a wife and kids, a more than full time job and hasn’t been at this all that long. If I try something that pushes my experience level to the limit, it’s ok if it doesn’t turn out perfect. I wrote a pretty sour description of the chair last night and I sort of wish I hadn’t but that post just shows the same discouragement that every person here feels at times. After a little encouragement from the kind folks here and a lot of thinking today, I realized that I forge over 20 pieces of metal, some quite heavy and complex, into shapes that fit close enough together that they could to be assembled into a functioning rocking chair. That’s a feat! 

Ben - you have yourself a fine rocker that will last many lifetimes, even if abused. - Superb Job - Well Done!!!

This is a perfect example of - its just small forged pieces added together to make a great forged object.

The time and effort is worth a lot - just because you did!!! and it turned out Great. Enjoy your time rocking in it.

Ben,  There are a lot of smiths out there that will never achieve the level of joinery you shown..  It doesn't really matter how long someone works in this trade or craft that produces both a desire to know the material but also to make it as near as perfect as one can..  This key between the masses is the want for a certain level of perfection.   VS the it's OK..  

To work to perfection is different for everyone.. It's like anything, some people get it some don't.. Some people have the talent some don't.. Some people naturally express and exude this fundamental  desire and it shows in the work produced..   

When both skill,  the desire to make perfect both collide it can warrant really nice work.. 

I had 3 small strap hinges to make and after making the 3 they were very nice but not perfect..   So guess what I have been making everytime i start the forge.....     Welded Hinge barrels.. :) 

Make one, cut it off, make another cut it off..  I'll be making welded hinge barrels till each one comes out exactly the way I want it , each time I make one...   

I am my largest and most brutal critique,  as I am only satisfied by perfection..  ;)   This is what I had seen when you were making the tongs and now the rocker..

7 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Thanks Dragon. It’s been brutal. Finally got the the thing 100% today. Had to do a little work with the flap disk to even a couple of spots out then heat the shiny spots up with the cutting torch before brushing them. Then heated the whole mother hunker up with a weed burner to apply wax. Last was the final seat install. I’m happy with it, not 100% satisfied but I’m proud to put my name to it. 

Packed eveything up for the rest of the on-site competition.  We’ll see how it goes  

Ben, if you get a chance to have it professionally photographed, DO IT! That's the kind of work that can and should be the centerpiece of a portfolio: it really highlights both your creativity and design sense as well as your skill at production. If you can't afford a pro or there isn't one in your area, there are some good tutorials online that area easy to find.