I Forge Iron

Hey guys I finished my new jabod this weekend and it just dried up good today since it just rained here a lot last week and I dug in the mud to fill it up I need to adjust the tuyere height since its only about an inch above the bottom of the fire pot I used 2 bricks to make the fire pot since that's what I had and it seems adequate I haven't got to fire it up yet but this weekend I'm gonna get in some time with the forge. Let me know what you guys think. Oh the second pic has my first 55 bottom blast forge in the background. The brick is for size reference.

20180418_193239.jpg

20180418_192950.jpg

I have to be honest...I’m very, very glad no one was video taping me during my first forging session.  You are brave!

Have a load of fun but, more importantly, be safe!  Wear your personal protection.  Use tongs that hold the stock well or, better yet, use long stock so you don’t need tongs.  Go in with a plan..like maybe to make an s-hook or whatever pleases you.  I went in with no plan and just mashed a piece of rebar.  I still have it and I get to laugh at myself every time I see it in the shop.  Wish I had an s-hook to look at instead.

Well I'm probably not gonna have her record the whole forging session just me tending the first fire in the new forge to see how it does and heating the first piece of metal in it to see how hot I get it. I don't have a set of tongs yet I broke my pair of vice grips last forging session by getting them too hot so now all I have at the moment is channel locks but I'm going to fix that very soon providing the weather allows it. I always wear my ppe. I don't have an apron yet but that is in the works. I don't actually grind anything so I don't use a face shield just safety glasses. I don't wear ear plugs since my anvil doesn't ring much at all and I have a pair of welding gloves I use when I'm handling longer stock and using my channel locks but that's all I really have besides my steel toes. I am extremely cautious while forging cause my 16 month old daughter loves watching me forge from a distance so I don't want her to see me get hurt.

If you just drew temper too far on the spring you can buy replacement springs for them...(not an unknown occurrence for folks starting out.)

I hope you are not wearing a glove on your hammer hand!  Having to squeeze the hammer handle harder because of the glove can give you blacksmith's elbow *fast*!

And to add to Thomas's comment, many say that using a glove on your hammer hand reduces fine hammer control and the subtle feel of working the stock. I sometimes wear a glove on the non-hammer hand if the stock gets too warm, otherwise the tongs come out. Happy forging, you'll love it.

I probably did mess up the spring it doesn't stay locked so I may have to get a new spring it's a really small pair anyways it's just what I had and I only wear a glove on my non hammer hand unless I'm doing hot filing then I wear it on both. I have an old awning roller bar that looks like fairly high chromium steel I've seen a tong design that I can make out of it and they will suffice until I build a better pair I know it's kind of small stock for tongs but it's what I'm working with sonce drain out the tire iron didn't go as planned last time (burned steel). But if the weather permits ill link a video to this thread this weekend of the first fire were supposed to get some rain but hopefully not.

Around here a common sores of found stock is mudflap hangers, start from the opposer end from wher it broke off the truck. Other springs work well, even A36 is fine. 

Getting hurt is part of life, it’s ok for your child to see that, as long as you don’t cuss, scream, throw tools and kick over the forge. There is a lesson in seeing dad cut his hands, go in and clean up and bandage then and go back to work. Later when she falls down and skins a knee, don’t make a big deal, kneel down and take a look, give her a hug and take her in side, clean it up, bandage it and send her back out to play. If you rap a kid in bubble rap they make very poor adults. It’s hard to let them learn and grow, knowing that at some point the will fall down.

I was considered an odd parent as I encouraged my kids to climb trees; took them out to the country to play in creeks when we lived in the city and not only let them use tools I gave them tools of their own.  They grew up to be wonderful adults.

See I'm not so worried about the thing with it being bad but depending on what happens you know...anyways she's a tough little girl she rarely gets hurt but the sudden impact of stuff scares her a bit and I have a bit of a problem filtering my cursing when I work I don't throw tools often but I have been known to drop an atomic f bomb from time to time while working but mainly I don't want something to happen and her see blood spurting everywhere you know I get the cutting my hand and her seeing it get cleaned up I just don't want her to see the reason for a major er visit I'm actually considering making her a little hammer and anvil set once I get my foundry set up out of brass or aluminum just so she has something to play with since she now beats on our table with her toy hammer

Learn new cusswords!   "Old Shaw!"  "Sacre Bleu"!  Verfluchte ITEM, or one of my favorites "May Maledictions follow this nameless thing to the uttermost depths of world slime" (RAH). One I took up as my daughters were growing up was lifted from the first Battlestar Galactica: felgercarb!

You can still cuss and the kids won't get into trouble if they copy you.

I may have to try that seeing as how my daughter has started copying me a little bit but she copies her mom a lot more than me and she curses every time she sneezes so I can hardly say it would only be my fault but I agree with you guys we don't need her cursing so I'll give the alternative curse words a go it'll take some getting used to though 

2 hours ago, Jay.bro said:

I'm actually considering making her a little hammer and anvil set 

I'm going to make my daughter a hammer and anvil out of wood and let her beat on playdough or clay once she's old enough. No real need to get extravagant with aluminum or brass. ( unless you want to.. :) ) 

I have a nice little rr rail anvil I picked up at the fleamarket years back for $5.  Someone spent a lot of time grinding it and squaring up the face. It's cute. I'll set it on a little stump for her in the shop when the time is right. 

For now I need to get working on the little hammer, anvil, and tong mobile for above her crib. ;) ( and no not full size or even metal......:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

No real need to get extravagant with aluminum or brass. ( unless you want to.. :) )

Well I'm just thinking aluminum cause it's light and I'm gonna experiment with turning my 55 drum forge into a foundry for aluminum and brass and maybe copper so I was thinking why not melt a bunch of cans and cast her an anvil and hammer with it so it's a small experimental thing I may melt some bullet casings and try that too for when she gets a little bigger but it's just an idea for now.

3 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

your child may not pick up any of your good habits they will pick up every one of your bad ones.

I know how that goes charles. she's already picking up a lot of bad habits from tv idk why but she slaps and punches and if you tilt your head forward just slightly she will headbutt you really hard she chases our cat around hitting him with books and he's missing a leg already the bad habits are easy to learn but the good ones take a bit to set in.

15 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Keep at it, raising kids is really just a holding action. They are little sociopathic trolls until about 25

Truer words have never been spoken.  Being a teacher, I have years of empirical evidence to support your statement.

Jay: About not wanting your children to see spurting blood. Do what my folks did, see I got 1st. aid training as soon as they could. till then they taught me little things like controlling bleeding, immobilizing dislocations and breaks. Most important how to talk to the operator and FD or ambulance dispatcher so they know what to expect.

By time I was 10 I'd controlled arterial bleeding on Dad twice and learned how to call Mother and not have her drive like a stock car racer. Never NEVER open the conversation about an injury with. "Dad got cut, don't worry it's not so bad. . . " You'll be talking to a dead line and get out of her way! What work WAY better is something like, "You'll never guess what he did THIS time," chuckle chuckle, "talk about a dumb move. Oh yeah, he'll need a couple stitches almost as much as shots. Maybe getting his hand brushed out again will get him to be more careful."

By time Mother got there I had Dad wrapped like a mummy. In typical preteen overdo. I almost got a paddling when she found out Dad needed 60 stitches and a few dozen staples. Staples were new at the time. He had to wear a splint arm brace thing to keep from opening things up too. No cut tendons for once, just meat and skin slicing. 

Yeah, I knew what cut tendons looked like and it's creapy to see scraped bone. 

Sorry, the topic brings back memories but kids can handle a lot more than a person thinks and the more they can handle the stronger they are.

Frosty The Lucky.

One time I gashed my hand, Imani (who had just finished Red Cross babysitting certification) cleaned and bandaged the wound so well that the ER doc took one look and said, “Nothing more for me to do here.” She was so proud (though not as proud as me).