I Forge Iron

New member in Massachusetts

Chezpopp

Hello all,

I live in mass and am a chef by trade. I’ve taken a few knife making classes at some localish shops. I’ve got a devils forge oval propane forge with 2 burners. I inherited this still in the box and never used. I intend to line the wool with refractory cement. I have my grandfathers hammer that was dressed by one of the teachers at the class I took. I have 105# anvil I believe is a mills. The best I found is that it was a british maker. My main intent is to make knives. All types of knives but mainly kitchen knives. I also stabilize my own burl and do hybrid burl blanks for handles with resin and burl. I also intend to do some smaller forged items that can be sold at craft fairs where I sell wood turnings and resin and wood jewelry. Ideally I’d love for someone in the area who could maybe give me a few lessons or tour of their shop. I’ve got farm shares and a 200 pounds of meat in my freezer from local farms and gladly trade meat or food for time. I’m in the process of setting up an open style shed for outdoor forging over the next week. Pictured below is my best efforts so far. Kiritsuke style chef knife with a stabilized fire ash burl and black pearlescent resin handle. 

40C5FD08-8D1D-4F33-B4D1-B27ABCEA36EE.jpeg

I have seen that picture. I have a lot of very particular things I look for in my kitchen knives as far as shape goes. So I’ll be borrowing a lot from old and new as well as different regional traditions for design. I’m hoping to take my experience and translate that to some functional kitchen heavy use knives. 

16 hours ago, Glenn said:

Ok,  Northeast of what?

Almost all of you are S.S.E of me.

A town or city is good, we're not Phishing or stalking members, we just want a working handle on location for things like: invites to include you in local hammer ins, equipment tools for sale, price to buy. HELP me do, ?, etc.

A good example being a local to Anchroage and Wasilla AAB members space restricted hammer in we Teenylittlemetal guy held in his cramped 1 car garage and sloping driveway, 04/14/18. Not because he only wanted to invite a couple few (5-6) guys but because that's all the room he has.

Frosty The Lucky.