I Forge Iron

Coal, Charcoal, Wood Forge Build

ryancrowe92

Sort of, the anvil is not relevant now the forge however is. Money came in today so I'm going to the bank and get some money out getting some iron pipe and some kind of t for the fan drive assembly plus some brazing rods and I have to learn how to do that too to repair the fan. Plus some new bolts.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man helped me make it and that's only after the first day I didn't get a photo of the second day of work.

I might have to convert it to a hand crank don't know yet. Depends on the fan  but it's at just the right height for me

There's some good discussion of this in the Solid Fuel Forges section. Don't get hung up on CFM ratings; a hairdryer should be adequate. I use a stripped-down vacuum cleaner with the hose fitted to the exhaust port; it's much too powerful on its own, but I've got it on a variable transformer to bring the speed down. A forge of this size isn't going to need anything really powerful.

Ok, well, to save you the few seconds it took to google that question, I'll put this here for you to dig through. 

just the first one that popped up on google from iforgeiron. Try it some time, it's pretty helpful. 

Which is like saying a car has a gasoline engine rather that a diesel one.  Doesn't tell you the number of cylinders, horsepower; if it's a racing engine, super or turbo charged, etc; just that it's a gasoline engine.

As mentioned a commercial company should know the analysis with such things the amount of ash it has, sulfur content, BTU output, etc; as that is what they would expect a customer to ask.  I know one smith that was offered a lot of coal *free*!  It ended up so poor that he used it to gravel his driveway...

they have the specs on it.

i have to call them tomorrow. and wait a week to order

As Received Specs:
Size:  Pea 1 x 3/8 or Nut 3 x 1 1/2"
Moisture: 1.48% 
Ash: 7.12% 
Sulfur: .75% 
BTU/lb: 14,373 
BTU/lb: 15,724 (dry, ash-free) 
Volatile Matter: 18.63% 
Fixed Carbon: 79.62% (dry ash-free) 
Free Swelling Index (Coke Button): 9