I Forge Iron

Coal, Charcoal, Wood Forge Build

ryancrowe92

You might be new to this but I can't just get up and go to the hardware store I have school and I also have grandparents who don't like to get out of the house and that is why I order most of my stuff online that aside. Trying for my license failed twice within 6pts of passing.

I'm right now looking at arc welding and how to do it so until I get my forge fixed or the other one up here I'm out of things to do.

Might make a yard fire and attempt to forge weld if I can keep it hot enough I'm bored can't go no where and I hate it just as much as y'all do but just bare with me.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your situation entirely, you don't seem to understand what I said tho. You don't need the ball bearing right now, you just need to wait on repairing that anvil until you get it. In the meantime, as i said, the anvil will work fine, as it is, without repairs. And buying online is just fine, amazon has plenty of ball bearings for under 10$. The top result is a 3-pack of 1" ball bearings for 7$. 

If you're suggesting you build a "yard fire" to "forge weld" a plate onto the top of the anvil please stop. That wont work for a number of reasons. If you're now fixing things out of boredom expect to ruin quite a few things. been there, done that. 

Yeah but ordering online has it's downsides like the waiting period

I just want to be able to go places I need to get my stuff and be done with it. I'm better than I was when I started. and I never mean to offend anyone it's just that sometimes I have bad people skills cause I work around a bunch of know it all teachers who have a stuck up additude and it just gets to me I'm behind months on one project I started last August and finnaly have the things I need to do it.

So like I said bare with me and jus keep on helping because I have taken and used all of the advice I have been givens some have worked and some have not I wanna start making money instead of dishing it out.

If you ordered that ball bearing right now, it should be at your house in 5 days. If you don't think that anvil will work fine for 5 days, you're wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't currently have a working forge, so what do you need an anvil for in the next 5 days? Shouldn't your focus be on repairing than forge and not the anvil? What is the status of that and what do you need to do to finish that forge repair? Have you posted enough photos to be told what, if anything, to repair? 

you need to follow the advice of people trying to help you and post pictures of the results, then wait for further instruction. or im afraid to say people wont be helping all that much longer.  

if you think you're close to making money, before even having made anything, you should consider getting a job. not being mean but you're probably not going to make money in this trade for years, if ever. 

When they tried to weld a new face on an anvil at Quad-State one year; they had a team with several hundred years of blacksmithing experience total and a very professional set up and had multiple failures before a success.  Your chances are not nearly that high. 

The good anvil DOES NOT NEED A NEW FACE. The cast iron anvil YOU CAN'T FORGE WELD TO---cast iron melts before you reach forge welding temp for steel.

I think we're getting confused because you keep saying things like "i'm going to weld a plate to it" or "i might start a yard fire to forge weld" or "i'm practicing arc welding now". maybe when you're considering things say "hey guys i'm thinking of _______. how does that sound?" to clear up the confusion. 

what you need to realize is that as soon as anyone starts talking about repairing an anvil people jump on it. it happens all the time, people think they're repairing an anvil and instead they ruin it. people dont want you to be that guy. 

as soon as you can take pictures of that forge, or the new one you might get. maybe the fan you say is broken would be good to get pictures of. 

3 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

My power cord for the welder is on a tight leash I had a table in the shop to do it on

ok. it was just a warning for your sake. Yes it would help to go back over that weld, But that could be useful when you get your forge going.

We're on the HF cast iron one because a certain RyanCrowe said he was going to weld on it. 

As for arc welding wrought iron I know a lot of people who do it and it's even mentioned in the 1939 Byers book on Wrought Iron with pictures of them arc welding a grate to cover water intakes on a dam. It is however NOT EASY.  BTW did you preheat the hammer head before welding on it?  If not HAZ cracking may occur (and often the problem when people try to repair anvil edges by welding without knowing what they are doing---making it worse in the long run.)