ryancrowe92

Coal, Charcoal, Wood Forge Build

Looks like you're on your way. Have you fired it up yet?

(Might want to take an angle grinder to the top edge and knock off any sharp bits. Blood is not a good forging fuel.)

No I haven't fired it up yet I waited till 2 to finish it because of the wind and I was using the torch but I have a section still and then I might have some welding to do to make a extension on the bottom
I still have to make my mount But over all it looks good or I might shorten up the pipe a little

1 minute ago, ryancrowe92 said:

Rotor looks to be an ok size. The rim on the barrel part looks a bit tall which is ok IF you notch it down on either side to be able to lay your bar stock flat on the rotor to be able to heat middle sections. Otherwise you'll have the same problem of only being able to heat the ends. 

Can you explain your piping? It isn't just a pipe coming down off the bottom of the rotor to the pipe coming out the side on the ground, is it? If so it will get clogged with ash and not function well. You want a T pipe where the air inlet is above the section where ash can be collected and dumped out occasionally. This can be welded up pretty easily. 

The pipe is a 2 inch diameter which goes into a square tube tee and then another pipe and I can turn it upside down and then beat it out or use the fan which is op for this forge  but not to op

The point of a T fitting is to not have to turn it upside down to dump it out or even disturb the forge. 

I'm not sure if I'm understanding exactly how you have the pipe. A picture would help if you could get one later. 

Probably not As big an issue with charcoal as it is with coal but still. 

Try to get a picture when you get home. 

Opposing slots, or a slot and a mouse hole to be able to put long pieces in the hot zone. Note this is NOT at the tuyere opening level but as couple inches above it.