I Forge Iron

Coal, Charcoal, Wood Forge Build

ryancrowe92

Hey guys,

I am looking to build a Solid fuel forge for welding medium sized objects in.

my current forge is just not cutting it and im having to find alternative sources for my forge like coal i have been using plain wood.

i need it to be at least 3 foot off the ground and then i need a 3x3 ft area of workspace and i have an eletric blower.to install.

so i just need help designing it for forge welding.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forge welding what? What is your definition of medium size? As a general rule, a solid fuel forge wouldn't need to be specifically designed for forge welding. Any decent  SF forge should get more than hot enough. As far as the fuel-specific design goes, wood forges should have a deeper fire pot than coal, and you don't want constant high airflow level. only when your steel is in the forge. It will save you a LOT of fuel.

well my forge is a hobbled together brake rotor that preforms its job only a fraction of the time and i just need something more reliable than what i have

and how do i change my on off switch on my fan for a foot pedal for air control

btw i want to use coal its just getting it that is the problem so im stuck with wood for right now

We have been through all this before in your past post. I have a brake rotor forge that I can  use to forge weld. You were asked and told to go with a proven design. Obviously you have not. Please go back and reread your previous posts and the replies. Forge welding does have it's tricks but they are also explained here at length if you would only look.

well its more with what I have been using to get buy with and in the next couple of weeks I'm looking at getting a job to increase my income from $75 to around $200 which will be a big improvement and the other night while i was running it i got the forge so hot it turned red but i have been looking a more robust design. now the fact that you can forge weld with your brake rotor forge is beyond me because i have only twice got the heat sufficient enough for welding and that i had to have a massive pile of wood on top of it but i followed Thomas's advice on starting the fire in the forge and that has worked but i need a forge that isn't a get by with because i don't want this to be a lost cause because i am going to be doing a lot of forge welding 

Problems with my current forge 

fuel source - currently using wood looking for a coal supplier

the rotor - if i wanted to heat a bar i can only heat the ends i cant heat the middle 

Current forge is not mounted. 

now i know earlier i was told to find a forge design that was proven but for lack of funds and driving range i could not build one but was better than i had 

now i don't know if I'm getting it but lets just say that a reltive of mine had a rich uncle who died and by rich I'm mean with a 1/4 of a million dollars and was a horder of things like there are welders and a forge a vintage old stand up forge with the rounded design and the blower on the side that's missing. now i may or may not get it and that's would be over a year away. 

the forge i want is a design that is portable, reliable, efficient, and all of the above.

good space for extra fuel 

can heat any shape object at any place 

and I'm going to wrap this up because its getting kind of long 

It isn't your tools Ryan, they're not to blame. if you want to learn the craft you have to stop thinking you can figure this out on your own and follow folks advice and directions. I've welded in campfires with nothing but a natural breeze for draft. If YOU can't get a hot fire in a fire pot it's not the forge. How about learning to use what you have instead of changing every time YOU fail to make it work?

Listing ALL the things that stop you from advancing is just making excuses and is tiresome reading. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

well I'm the one who built it and like i said it was one of those to get by with things i had it mounted on some horse saws and it finally burnt through them but when I'm using wood i can never get the metal in the right place to heat i might get a couple of good heats but their only on the edge and i took Thomas's advice on starting the fire in the forge and that help a lot and saved some time.

but the forge just has its drawbacks to it 

There are a million and ten good proven forge designs out there, just about all of them capable of forge welding. Many designs can be found on this site. Some forge design take more skill to build than others. Some take more money to build than others. Some are time consuming, others can be done in half an hour. A "Model 55" forge shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks and would be super fast and easy to build. When it comes down to it, you just have to stop typing and start working. 

Here is the 55 forge. Not a heavy duty forge, as the article states, but dirt cheap and easy. If you really want a forge, you now have    excuses. 

Ready set GOOOOOOOOO!!!!

42 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

is there a way to make a stand for this  and a fan mount 

No, there are a thousand ways and one. Cobble something together from what you have on hand, and show us the photos when you're done.

You could probably use the cut-off section to make the stand, like this:

3A5AA03D-A4A3-4478-929F-279C85AF6D6C.jpeg

If you're making a side-blast, you just have to cut a hole in the wall of the forge for the tuyere. If you're doing bottom-blast, you'll need to cut some access holes so that you can get to the tuyere and the ash dump.

I bought mine at harbor freight and it has paid for it's self the 180 mig flux but I went to lowes and bought some Lincoln wire instead of the hf wire that came with it and it has done what I have need it to do have a few minor problems with it now and then but nothing major