I Forge Iron

Giving up anvil and forging stuff

Brazer

You haven't heard from me in awhile. This major stroke last March 12, 2017 has me a watcher and not a doer. My whole left side is ruined. No feeling in leg or hand. I tried everything I could trying to get back to normal. I cannot stand good, and tried making some steel cattails, and from a seated position it was hard to move about. With the left hand with no feeling, I even taped a glove on the hand because it kept falling off.  I even taped the metal to my left hand to hammer on the anvil, that wasn't too good an idea. Then I had to put bandaids on good right  good hand from cuts catching metal to keep from dropping on concrete when it slipped out of my grasp. No one wanted to help me in the garage. They where either too busy, or could care less. You find out real quick, that when you can't do them any good, they are preoccupied with anything but helping me.

To make a long story short I am selling my Fisher 100 lb anvil, 2 small gas forges, one with burner and all my insulation and clay topping I have left. It's been great while it lasted.

I still like to follow the Forum to see what's happening. I enjoy reading about  all the fun you guys are having.

Greetings Brazer,

Keep your stuff . Maybe a young sprout will come along that you can train and pass on your experience. As blacksmiths we have an unwritten obligation to pay it forward. Keep your body and mind moving you will feel much better. I have trained many newbys and will continue to do so as long as possible. Need a little help just ask there are many smiths in your area that I’m sure would come and give you a hand.  Just this ol boys 2c .  KEEP THE FAITH.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Hard news Brazer, hard. I have to side with Jim though, keep your kit, kids will want to learn the craft and be helpful. You can help each other, someone to help you cope and they get to learn skills that'll stand them in good stead for the rest of their lives.

Don't let a few folk sour you, there are plenty of good folk out there . . . Here! ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Brazer, It's horrible that you are limited like this. Prayers for you my Friend. Better people around would push you more in a way you could do. Many of us are alone in a sense. Even if you sell your equipment, Please stick with the community. If I could do more I could. If there is something I Could help with Please let me know. I really hope you can get better. Keep in touch with us.

Strokes are such cruel things. I share the sentiments expressed so well by Das in his post above. I hope you continue to be a part of this community, and also encourage you to keep your anvil and stuff. There are youngsters around who could learn so much from you. Very best wishes.

I'm with Das 100%! Stick with us here Brazer, please PLEASE don't deny us and the next generations your knowledge. I'm not so hot at the anvil, my depth perception isn't so good making my results too poor for very good demos let alone products. BUT I can still share what I know as best I can. 

My friends here and in the club call me on the mistakes I make for which I'm forever grateful.

Dealing with loss is a grieving process and effects us the same with minor differences. Preceding the "denial" phase we have to learn what's changed and lost. Learning to cope with new challenges is ongoing. Gee, sounds just like "normal" life eh? :o

The knowledge is still there, it's the filing system that's jumbled up and heck so we can't still swing a hammer so well we can still teach. I have guys over to swing my hammers frequently, expecting one in a day or so. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Brazer  all the best here, as has been said strokes are the worse, my Dad had one a number of yrs. ago.  He hung in the family business  until he felt I had what it was going to take to carry on. 

It would be nice if you or any of us could give a dedicated young person a "leg up" in blacksmithing by gifting your anvil and tools and your knowledge esp. Knowledge.  Please stay on IFI giving us all the benefit of your experience it doesn't come everyday. 

Hang in there Blazer. 

I found a blacksmith that was just starting out. He needed an anvil, small gas forge complete with regs and gauges. Heavy duty solid wood stand for anvil, and tongs and hammers. He bought the whole lot including almost 50' of 2300F 24"x 1" insulation to make a large 3 burner gas forge. Half bag of clay and new firebrick. I got cash for the lot and was thankful that I could help younger fella, that is serious about continuing the trade with a real good start.

Thank you all for your guidance and kind words.

I'm glad you found someone you feel will continue the trade/tradition. Don't forget to offer a little instruction and send him here for some help as well. We'd like to meet the fella. And Please stick with us. We love hearing from you. Ideas, critique, thoughts... Whatever. You are and will always be a brother to us. 

I second everything Das said.  I hope you stay with us and keep sharing your experience and knowledge.  An active mind is the key to happiness. My father in law is currently struggling with losing use of his legs due to nerve damage.  He feels so sharp but just can’t walk or get around reliably even with a walker.  He is struggling with it but he stays positive by doing the things he loves that are still within his body’s ability.  Be well.

Lou

i'm glad that you found a buyer and hopefully you got a fair price?  i'm sorry to hear that you have long term complication from the stroke and i pray that it improves. being able to still cook is definitely a great boon , since my stroke i have changed the way and what i eat greatly therein bringing  new aspects and challenges  to new foods, So hang in there and try to have fun.

regards Ian

I have to join the chorus it is good that you found a blacksmith to buy your kit and use it. Keep your hand in and teach him what you can. We may not be able to do it like we used to but we can still get the feeling helping others. 

It's been almost 10 years since my TBI and my sense of taste is still off but it's just a challenge. Life without challenges is just processing food and air. 

Please stay with us here, you're family and if you can get the new owner infected and onboard we'll help you get him addicted good and proper.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you again guys,  but the one thing I didn't sell is my post vise. It was my first, and  I just couldn't let go of it. The anvil and I were very close,  and had to choose,  so I let go of it and kept my post vise that wasn't part of any deal. I can hold stuff and bang on it when the mood strikes. It will be always with me.

You all understand the feeling of not letting go of personal treasures, that bring a smile to your face. It seems to me, that if I can still swing a hammer a few times,  on a piece of steel in the vise, I am still alive.  Weather I make something or not, it's not important, it is what I do.  If I need to heat something to red hot, I still have torches. I'm not completely down and out yet.

I got to improvise a brand new Dolomite Soprano 10" wheeled rollator I just bought, to suit my carrying needs. So much for the warranty.lol  They assume it's just for walking, well I got plans to carry a drill, hammer and chisel, 4 1/2" grinder, and even a rifle scabbard. I got to make a tank bracket, not for a breathing O/2 bottle, but for my turbo torch outfit. Only smiths see things from a different angle.I have always  said, hey I can make that, or I can make it work better. That's why we are so creative with metal.  It's in your blood, and will always be there.  I'm ready for flies this year, because a got a zap a bug salt shooter. It's something to do in the garage when I am sitting to taking break, thinking of how to improvise something for my needs.

I know I'm a man of few words, so I'll cut this short. I'll be around for a long time,  bothering you all with my questions, some of my  answers I give might make no sense at all. 

Brazer