I Forge Iron

How to Make a Hardie Hole

Theres wheels, and then theres wheels!

Due to some excellent feedback here I’ve decided to forego the hardie hole in the layout table.

Time to focus on the swage block and probably forget about ever turning it on edge!

88673FD5-229D-43A9-ADFE-E03B1F181C16.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I do not have a hardy hole. To resolve this I am going to use a drive shaft with the flange mounted to a base/floor. 

Use a 1 1/4" impact socket with a 3/4" drive over the splined area and use the drive as the hardy. Some shaping might be needed to get a nice fit over the shaft end.

the hardy tool will be kept secure while still transferring energy directly to the shaft

Just a word of cation, you will much happier with a hardy hole setup that is a through hole. Many time hardies will jam in place and being able to drive them out is important. Also, you may find material building up in the blind hole could cause you trouble as well.

Just my thoughts,

David

• 1 month later...

How about drilling a round hole that the hardy tool will fit through then bolting a plate over it with a square hole. Several sizes can be made , and it avoids having to cut a square hole through 2 inches of cast iron. Or you can make a bolster block the size of your hardy and clamp it to the table

When I need a hardy up a bit higher I just stick it in my post vice.  No drilling or chisel work needed.   

I did my hardy just as jlp suggested.  Drilling the four corners then a 1” drill bit for the center and chiseled square.  My anvil is 22” thick so no through hole.  I just drilled a hole going in the side with a slight upward angle so I can unstuck a hardy tool if needed and it makes cleaning it out easy. 

B2FCAAF3-4033-45C9-A754-83CF93ED1FB6.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Jasent said:

When I need a hardy up a bit higher I just stick it in my post vice.  No drilling or chisel work needed.   

I did my hardy just as jlp suggested.  Drilling the four corners then a 1” drill bit for the center and chiseled square.  My anvil is 22” thick so no through hole.  I just drilled a hole going in the side with a slight upward angle so I can unstuck a hardy tool if needed and it makes cleaning it out easy. 

That's how the frenchies went about it to