I Forge Iron

Aftermarket Bandsaw Hydraulic?

I just bought a used grizzly G9742 horizontal bandsaw. 

This one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9742/parts

The problem is, it no longer has the hydraulic cylinder that allows the saw to automatically lower. Buying a new one from Grizzly apparently is almost $200.00!!!  

Does anyone know of a place to buy cheaper parts that will fit this machine? It would be MUCH appreciated.

Best,

Eric

Just because I love the challenge of searching the internet I tried but it seems they try to hide the dimensions of the cylinder assembly.  I couldn’t find an alternative because I have nothing to compare.  Since yours is missing you may be stuck paying the $185 for the new one from Grizzly.  

I found one discussion about this here : https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/forum/equipment-talk/metal-working-tools/28809-bandsaw-hydraulic-cylinder

Apparently those cylinders tended to leak.  I followed some 9f the advice in that short discussion and all the options were close in price.  I don’t think that the slightly lower price is worth the chance it won’t work.  Buy once, cry once.

Lou

Thanks for the comments and advice.  And thanks for searching the internet for me! 

swedefiddle- can you go into more detail about how to make one? Where would one get the piston? I don't know all the lingo,   but am always up for learning by trying it myself. It would be appreciated.

I also found this site which seems to have parts specifically by brand: https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Grizzly/

Thanks,

Eric

Jeremy, I don't quite follow- where would the sliding weight be on the machine. Is it assuming a working cylinder already in place?

Also, the guy I bought it from is going to send me the old cylinder that doesn't work. Maybe I can figure out what's wrong with it?

I made the downfeed cylinder for my horizontal bandsaw. you can use a small hydraulic cylinder, or as I did, you can even use a pneumatic cylinder as the pressures in the downfeed control are not great. Here is a sketch (sorry for the quality). The concept is simple. it is a closed loop and the needle valve just controls the rate of flow between the two halves of the cylinder. Just finding the right sized lightweight cylinder is the hardest part. And if you have a lathe you can make it from scratch. There are Youtube videos showing that too.

Downfeed.jpg

Ah! That makes sense. Cool. Well, I should receive the old cylinder soon and if I can't fix that one I at least will have the dimensions for buying a new one. What sort of needle valve is needed to work with the hydraulic (against, forgive my ignorance when it comes to this kind of stuff)? Can you buy ones that both have a micro-adjustment and an on/off lever?

simple brass needle valve you can get in the plumbing department of most hardware stores. There are a bunch of videos on youtube about rebuilding hydraulic cylinders too. It is not hard.

This is similar to what I used.

21VL46_AW01.jpg

Here's some pics of a few different sized ones. you can see that some have a ball valve in addition to the needle valve. That is to be able to lock the saw in any position without adjusting the needle valve. I have one on mine too. not required, but handy.

maxresdefault.jpg

P Trajan 712-216.jpg

sawdamper.jpg

Mount bar on frame and adjust weight back and forth for pressure adjustment. Depends on the saw if it's blade heavy your weight should slide rear of pivot to help counter the blade side weight. A small cylinder is also just as easy to mount

e8970ef7-c73d-49d3-9546-e3b064b4c398.png

So I just received the original (broken) hydraulic in the mail from the guy I bought the bandsaw from. He said it came with the machine not functioning and he just took it off and used the saw manually. 

i don't know enough about hydraulics to immediately know what is wrong. There is a single needle valve in the line.  The piston easily moved up and down no matter if the needle valve was closed or open. I opened up one port in the cylinder to see how much fluid was inside and some, maybe a couple teaspoons of fluid came out. A small amount of fluid could be seen at the base of the piston as it was raised.

I assume one of the following problems is the issue:

-The cylinder is leaking and no longer had enough fluid to create pressure.

-There is some sort of interior gasket that is allowing fluid between the two chambers  (i don't know enough about the inside to know if this is likely)

-The needle valve is broken and letting fluid pass easily without resistance. 

I have all the dimensions of the cylinder in  case anyone is interested. Also, how much fluid is SUPPOSED to be inside the cylinder? And how does one go about refilling? Does it need to be forced in or can the fluid enter passively with a funnel?

Thanks!

Eric