I Forge Iron

200 LB Howe blacksmith power hammer searching for information

On 7/31/2018 at 8:54 PM, Chewey Tilton said:

Hi Paul, 

I just picked up a 100# Howe.

I have never run one but couldn't pass it up at an auction.

The previous owner had put new cushions on it.these were made in Seattle.

I am waiting to hear who made them. 

Otherwise this hammer appears to be in great shape.

I would love to hear from other Howe owners is from folks That have fun them.

Chewey,

Love to see a few pictures of your Howe. Were the cushions made in Seattle?

Sounds like you picked up a heck of a good hammer. Still working on mine.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 months later...

gaswizard, hoping your name has more to do with flame welding than flatulence.

I bought the 150lb Howe in the other thread and was wondering if you have any info about the Seattle connection for rubber. Mine are shot. I've  were been a couple places in Portland OR and they were not helpful at all. Have you found any other info on the Howes? Did you pour an isolation pad? Thats where I am. need to pour the pad and set it down. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 7:19 PM, Jboon said:

gaswizard, hoping your name has more to do with flame welding than flatulence.

I bought the 150lb Howe in the other thread and was wondering if you have any info about the Seattle connection for rubber. Mine are shot. I've  were been a couple places in Portland OR and they were not helpful at all. Have you found any other info on the Howes? Did you pour an isolation pad? Thats where I am. need to pour the pad and set it down. 

I restore gas chandeliers in the shop and many of them I convert back to burn gas, a fellow lighting shop gave me the name gaswizard. For the Howe I need to draw 3D drawings of the aluminum mold that needs to be machined so I can make the rubber cushions with my vulcanizer, coming soon. No other info on the Howe other than what IFI members have assisted with. For the foundation pour, not yet, also coming soon. Going to add 800 square feet onto the shop in April for the power hammers and blacksmith equipment.

DSC04712.jpg

Just now, gaswizard said:

I restore gas chandeliers in the shop and many of them I convert back to burn gas, a fellow lighting shop gave me the name gaswizard. For the Howe I need to draw 3D drawings of the aluminum mold that needs to be machined so I can make the rubber cushions with my vulcanizer, coming soon. No other info on the Howe other than what IFI members have assisted with. For the foundation pour, not yet, also coming soon. Going to add 800 square feet onto the shop in April for the power hammers and blacksmith equipment.

DSC04712.jpg

PS, If I am in the area, can I swing on by and take a look at your Howe?

15 hours ago, CMS3900 said:

I'm going to ask, why a vulcanizer instead of using off the shelf pourable urethane or machining urethane rod?  The vulcanizer will be more OEM but man that seems like an investment. 

No real investment other than machining a couple huge blocks of aluminum. Never heard of machining urethane rod?, that sounds like the way to go.

You can buy Urethane rod in what ever duro you need, say 85-90 shore A. MSC lists up to 3 inch and call for custom sizes.  I would give them a call and see what a 12 inch piece of 6" diameter  would cost, or if they have something else that would work.

I bought from a plastics supply company few years ago..  US Plastics I think it was..   Delrin cuts pretty nice on the lathe.. Never worked with Urethane so can't help there..  For delrin I used an insert for aluminum and it worked very well.. 

4" Diameter 95A Black Polyurethane Rod

Item #: 48489

Drop Ship

$357.85/36" Length

6" is the largest they stocked.. 

• 3 years later...