I Forge Iron

Inventory Size and License

During the fall this year I am hopefully going to be part of a craft show, my first. The question I have is how big does my inventory need to be? The show is not large, as it is located in a small town, it should have about 20 or 25 vendors, and lasts 2 days. The thing is that the vendors either sell quilts/blankets, or food items (preserves, canned goods, etc.), so the couple of people I have been in contact with were excited at the prospect of a blacksmith selling items. The inventory I am planning on making will consist of mostly small items, bottle openers, pendants, horseshoe hoof picks, maybe a few horseshoe or railroad spike knives, railroad spike hooks, other hooks, and maybe a big ticket item if I have the time. So based on your personal experiences, how big should my inventory be? Do I need a license to sell at a craft show? Any answers are appreciated, thank you.

You'll want to take more then you think you'll sell and expect that you could bring it all back home with you. There are a couple threads on table displays and selling around here somewhere that will help out. 

Some craft shows require you to have a tax license or even insurance. Others do not. You would have to check with them on that. 

Make the cost of the items match the $1, $5, $10, and $20 dollar bills. No change makes the sale go a lot faster. If you want to play the numbers game make it $0.99, $4.99, $9.99, and $19.99 and give them a penny back. Keep several rolls of pennys so you do not run out.

Take a couple of high dollar items as show pieces and examples of what you can do. If they sell, great. 

Attach a business card to each item so they can get in touch with you later if they need anything.

Thomas has a great idea because the majority will be there for something other than blacksmithing.  Building on it, I'd consider swinging your products towards their interests.  You could make preserve spreaders, spoons, and toast racks to compliment the canning jars.  Pickle forks too.

On 4/1/2018 at 11:16 AM, MDDstudios said:

Do I need a license to sell at a craft show?

You don't to sell at craft shows, not at least at any of the states I've sold in, but you do need to file sales tax.  Ask your city or county office if you need a license, most will require it, but a few won't.  Mine's $35 a year.

Depends on where you are. When I was doing the automotive swapmeet circuit in CA we started getting forms handed to use for sales tax on the items we were selling ,........... 1950's-1970's used car parts..........

I talked to a guy who sells his goat cheese at farmer's markets in Utah. There he can use one business license to sell anywhere in the state. If he comes to NV and wants to sell in Las Vegas, he needs a Las Vegas business license. A couple of miles over in Henderson - a Henderson license. A few more miles over to Boulder City... you guessed it , another license. He would need one for every city he plans to sell in..