I Forge Iron

Evolution of the War-Machine

GMURDOCH

I will start from the beginning.

In 2009 I saw Marvels Iron-man, I loved it. Pt2 followed and ibwas hooked.

I couldn't but help wonder if it was at all possible to make one. No not with all the gadgets, weapons and flight capabilities, that silly. So I went to Google and found a Prop-building forum. This place was amazing for anyone who is a fan. So I did a ton of reading on the builds. 

Primarily they are made of either EVA foam mats, cardstock paper coated in resin for strengthening. Both methods I have tried using a pepakura program. The foam doesn't last as my cat has shown me, the cardstock resin is messy with a lot of chemicals. Both of which I made an upper torso. They both were quite cumbersome to move in, Robbie the robot kinda thing. 

3D printing is also a medium that builders use. But the cost and the understanding is beyond me.

It had been suggested that I should go with a Kevlar build. Again chemicals, I live in a very small apartment with limited space. I can do some stuff at work but i don't want to go that route as the boss would be passed lol.

OCD kicks into high gear. I can't stop wanting to build this, so then I realize what about metal?

Now bear with me here, I am not rich nor am I an engineer. To be quite hones, I left school at 15. Now before you jump ship, here me out. 

As a kid you accept what's thrown at you. Raised on Farwell aka welfare, alcoolic parents mixed with teenage ignorance and misunderstanding of the world around. So accepting my place and my limitations wasn't that difficult. 

I was a janitor at a pawnbroker, custmer asks me question. Sales rep interrupts to say that I know nothing. Of course I was passed and out of spite I became a jeweller selling wares. Did that for 10 yrs finishing at an upscale boutique in Toronto's upscale neighborhood. Now I had a taste of success. Back to the build, so with a jewelry background I figure metal will be best for my armour. So I go into Research and Development mode. Educating myself in metal forming, casting, mathing. Reading books on mechanical movement, kinetic movement, robotics, engineering, casting & arduino: programmale micro processors. YouTube has been my friend. Forums like this one has really paved the way as well. So a metal armour still sounds tuff. What if I built an exoskeletal armour with plates that attach. Now I'm on to something, I can replace damaged parts or upgrade my armour as I see fit. 

I am going to build an exoskeletal armour based on the War-Machine but redesigned boasting a full range of motion with lights sounds and servo motors. This will be in aluminum, steel and titanium. 

Some say weight is going to be an issue, but evenly distributed I should be good for a short while. I mean I'm not going on a hike in the mountains with it. I will post some pics of some of my research. This will be slow as I work a lot of hours and I am still buying tools for this project. I look forward to your opinions and criticisms. Thanks for getting to the end lol...

20160206_211541.jpg

2015-01-22 06.51.33.jpg

20180222_210304.jpg

attachment.jpg

This link is a video of a jeweller bench I built to help along the way. 

My apartment is small so work space is a nightmare. So a collapsible work bench was a great solution.

Poor quality video but you get the idea...

I posted a link and it didn't work...

content://com.samsung.android.email.attachmentprovider/1/46/RAW

You are going to fit right in here. I think you can simplify your collapsible work station considerably, make it smaller good tool storage and really easy to set up though you might need another stool.

I'll see if I can access pics I drew of a portable tool chest for hauling my blacksmithing kit and show you what I was thinking. It's still on the drawing board and brainstorming but here's the idea. It's basically a trunk about 30" long, 24" wide and 12" deep. There's a long hinge connecting two halves lengthways centered on a long side and strong latches holding it closed. It has a telescoping handle like a hand truck and wheels to let me tilt and move it around without lifting. 

In use you open the latches and the haves swing open on the hinge. Inside are tong rack, hammer and top tool rack, bottom tool rack and stock rack. At the top are a couple drawers for hand tools and small supplies like rivets, nuts & bolts, flux, finishes, etc.

I haven't decided how far I want to open it either about 90* with the racks inside turns it into a strong stand for the SS clad table top that doubles as the cover for the handles. Not sure how I'm working that one, I think using the handle to hold the table top makes better sense. Anyway, the table top slides out and latches to the open case to make a work area.

However it puts all the tools under the table top and that's problematical for obvious reasons, harder to access and see. Things like the fastener drawers would almost have to come out completely to pick specific things.

So I was thinking a little massaging of the hinge, a piano hinge won't work for this idea, and the case opens all the way around to 90* with the racks, drawers, etc. on the outside of the table stand. Now everything is visible and handy but it's a more complicated hinge system, probably have to make it myself. ;)

I've thought of making it so it'll carry the anvil too but I have a pickup truck or SUV and a hand truck so I don't think I'll get that carried away.

Anyway, that's my ideas for doing about the same thing you did. Any of it's yours to use if you wish.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't forget he's planning on learning how to do this kind of metal work on the project Das, that'll at least triple the price.

Ti weighs 1/3 what steel does and is 2x as strong so you can use very light gauge and remain strong enough it won't just crumple if you walk into a table. Depending on alloy of course some you aren't going to be able to work by  hand, some are actually quite nice to work. Expensive though, oh my goodness is it!

Al is generally easy enough to work, you can use wood working tools in fact. You have to pay special attention to fasteners or electrolysis will eat it but that's off the shelf, no mystery at all. 

The real problem isn't so much learning to and getting sheet to do what you want it's articulating joints that's the REAL PITA. Have you seen the latest, greatest powered exoskeletons? They tend to make Robbie the Robot look like a ballerina.

Neat project though, please keep us in the loop.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol well I figured this project was on his dime for him so price is what he can afford. As far as learning as you go I thought it would be Way more expensive with mistakes and all. Been there done that. Ugh. 

Man, I really need to price out titanium sheet metal. I could make some awesome animatronic wings with that stuff if I could afford it. For a 14' wing span even aluminum is a bit heavy. 

GM is right tho., if evenly dispersed on the body it might not be so heavy to carry. Where is that armour video? Lol

I have bought some aluminum from Metal Supermarket, some from a scrap yard.

Titanium I have some 2.5"- 3 " wide 20" lengths 2, 3mm thick. The titanium I'm going to use for accent pieces. 

Still searching for more via bike parts. In another life I was a cyclist, owning over 50 bikes over the yrs.

Mountain bikes, BMX bikes for clarification...

The pic is titanium that I picked up from a former employer.

Need a good cleaning...

20180330_102157.jpg

That's awesome JHCC, Thanks for posting.

Tools have been expensive as buying the wrong tools really takes a toll. 

Finding a place to store my tools is a chore lol. I have tools on the balcony in the apartment, at work and in the truck.

I have been searching for a metal hobby lathe but the cost right now is not affordable right now.

What do you need a lathe for? Here's a thought for you if you really need machine shop tools for the project. Take an extension course at a local college and use their machine shop tools with expert instruction and help. They will have lathes and mills at minimum and there's a good chance there will be: CNC water jet, laser, etc. cutter, shaper and surface grinder as well.

Taking a machine shop class is much cheaper than buying a piece of equipment you may not know how to use nor need on a permanent basis. Lathes are not that useful long term, I know, I have one and have a machine shop background. 

Frosty The Lucky.

21 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I think you got some that it will be a long, expensive and tedious project. :) 

Have you sourced the aluminum and titanium yet? Any thought as to what parts will be what metal? 

Joints will be made of steel, for the most part. Metal Supermarket and simular suppliers for the aluminum the titanium I am yet to find a supplier in my area. This pic for example is awesome but the foot moves back and forth but really it needs to pivot side to side as well. Took me a while but I figured out how to make that happen. My boot will be simular but modified to my needs...

Screenshot_2017-05-03-22-05-55-1.png

Screenshot_2017-05-04-06-49-21.png

I failed to mention that last week i placed an ad in kijiji to see if i can join a metal casting group. To learn and develope my skills as I am just starting out. A fella textd me today saying that he was interested in starting a group and he owns a foundry business. I had prior obligations today with my family but I told him that I would definitely be contacting him tomorrow.