I Forge Iron

Murdoch's 1st furnace

I bought this kiln off a minister for  $20.00 Canadian, that's about as good as a deal as any lol. It came with the electronics removed. I will be picking up some castable refractory, ceramic blanket. The burner I made from black gas pipe whih I will use as a forced air propane method. Need to get myself a regulator gauge, and construct a crucible. I would buy one but I am only melting aluminum with this. But hey if I can get a deal on a good crucible then I'll go that route as well, safety first...

20180228_034712.png

20180310_123715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you. I was talking to a guy and he tells me that the position of the burner should be in the clockwise direction as I am in Toronto Ontario Canada and being in the northern hemisphere. Does anyone or can anyone confirm the validity of this claim? Thanks in advance guys...

18 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

There is some thought that the hot gas should circulate in the same direction that your toilet water does. As to validity I can’t say.

one should consider adding some insulation to your set up, unless your casting engine blocks you have a lot of volume to heat.

It's not finished man lol. 

Next week I'm picking up a ceramic blanket and castable refractory 

Left on it's own, conservation of angular momentum dictates the flame will form a counter clockwise vortex. Swirl like toilet water. Doesn't need your help but if you aim the burners to spin it the other direction it'll spin the other direction. 

If we were counting BTUs to a lab level forcing it to spin clockwise would force it to expend more energy fighting the Coriolis effect making the forge a LITTLE hotter but it's not significant to make a useful difference.

Frosty The Lucky.

Why not just purchase some, I now shipping to Canada is an issue but you'd probably have to ship the ingredients anyway, would it not be easier to go with a commercial mix that is tried and true, it's really not that expensive for what you get out of it.???? Just asking.

Sure I call up the supplier and say send me a sack of "XYZ" and mix it according to directions...

What temperature does your refractory need to withstand---top and running?

Will it need to be flux resistant?

Will you need an insulative refractory or can you afford paying for the extra fuel?

How rugged do you need it to be?

You'll find a few recipes in kiln books but they're not intended for the conditions in melters or forges. Seriously it's not worth the time and money you'll spend to make a moderately margional refractory. The caster in our club uses Kaowool backed K26 insulating fire brick in both his propane fired daily melters.  He does face the k-26 fire brick with fire clay, grout mix in his cupola melters but they take severe mechanical damage. 

Just buy what you need, sure shipping sucks, tell me about it shipping doubles the price of almost everything here. Prices listed in the lower 48 tend to run 60% or less than they do here. 

Frosty The Lucky.