I Forge Iron

Perusing eBay and I saw these

ede

So, I just received one of these forges after ordering from ebay. It is the one burner paint can style.

image.png

I'm a newb and was just looking to heat treat some blades (kiridashis and similar).  Since I have some O1 steel blanks already made, I started wondering if I should just return this forge and throw more money into an oven/kiln for proper soaking of O1 (DIY build or something like evenheat).  I was searching for the seller info in order to ask about O1 soaking and came across this thread.  I haven't unwrapped the hose and regulator or the piping, however in the pics in the auction and what I can see through the packaging, I'm thinking the tubing, T and connections are the same as posted here.  So now I'm really thinking about returning it.  I just received it yesterday and have a 14 day return window.  Probably going to pack it back up tonight and take it to the PO in the morning. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to IFI jagerco... I suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48833-read-this-first/

Where in the world are you located? Probably wise to return that forge. You can build one if you follow the directions given in many threads here.

5 hours ago, jagerco said:

So now I'm really thinking about returning it.  I just received it yesterday and have a 14 day return window.  Probably going to pack it back up tonight and take it to the PO in the morning. 

That would be wise. 

I have initiated the return through ebay.  I stated what was said in this thread.  I'm sure the response should be interesting. I hate returning things, especially things that are made when ordered.  However, I just don't feel confident in the product and as such will not use it.  I thought about swapping the hose and coating the blanket, however I paid $140+ for this and don't feel like throwing more money into it.  Looks like I'm building a HT oven now.  Time to start reading. Thanks guys!

• 1 year later...

Ok sorry to bring this up again but I ordered a forge before I joined this forum and now fear I made a mistake. The same seller that's discussed here. I've yet to receive the item so I havent tested anything. And me being new to this I don't know that I'd see anything wrong with it. But I have some pictures and hopefully someone can let me know if it's safe to use i.e. the hoses burners and insulation. 

Sorry I couldn't post a link. Ordered a month ago and havent gotten it yet. 

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

From the pictures it's a different forge, a better mounting for the burner and carrying handle. The main thing to check is if the insulation is sealed with at least rigidizer, if it's soft there will be a health hazard of fibers floating around in the air causing serious breathing issues. The hose and regulator look ok as long as they are rated for propane.

I have purchased many things through eBay. As to whether a forge or burner purchased there is any good, you must answer for yourself, on a case by case basis. I have seen good bargains and bad from the same sellers,  over time. I have seen good burners and junk on the same seller's page. If you want to buy with confidence, choose a name brand you trust, but don't expect to buy it on the cheap. Nothing' for nothing is a hard old truth. You will pay in money, time, or disappointment; take your pick.

You're still going to want to put a coat of hard refractory on the liner as a flame face, rigidized blanket isn't very durable. Do NOT use refractory cement or mortar, they are not suitable at all!

You can buy small quantities for reasonable from the Iforge store.

Frosty The Lucky.