I Forge Iron

new smith

Hey guys,

I joined up about an hour ago and already can tell that this is a group that I will love. The resources here are amazing and the camaraderie is palpable. I have started gathering a group of smiths in the LV area together and the excitement is growing. We are up to 42 members and doing a lot of cool stuff.

My background is that i have spent a decent amount of time in a lot of other people's forges making pretty typical beginner stuff. In January I decided to stop messing around and start doing stuff. Been to several classes, and I regularly go to a shop here in Vegas where several other veterans and I make all kinds of things. I am excited to be apart of this group and look forward to interacting with you all and Stealin......cough... I mean... learning all your tricks and tactics.

One last thing. I have dealt with PTSD and suicide for along time. I am alive because of my wife, friends, loving strangers and in no small part because of other veterans. I am always here for anyone who is struggling with those type of things. Anyone, anytime. I want you alive and thriving. No matter who you are, or where you are from. If you need someone I will do everything I am able to help you.

Welcome aboard Michael.  Don't forget, we love pictures. Anything within the rules and blacksmithing or whatever is interesting or fun. ;) 

There Are some of us that battle or deal with issues and blacksmithing is a great outlet, let alone other blacksmiths for help in about all manner of things. 

Learn and share with us. This is a great place to do both. 

Welcome, Michael

There is a group in LV, or a group that gets together. I don't know if they are part of the ABANA Organizations or not. There is a PILE of information here, there is a PILE of information on the ABANA site. There is a lot of information that a lot of the Blacksmith Associations post in their Newsletters. You may think you are spending a lot of time grazing the sites, situation Normal.

Don't be afraid of asking questions. Educated questions, get educated replies, most times. Sometimes the subject gets wobbly on the rails, bear with it, it quite often comes back. Ask your Local people the same questions, they can probably "Show You" the answer. Waaaay more gooder to 'see' the reasons why and what if.

Enjoy the Journey, there is no exam or test. You are your best or worst critic.

Neil

Welcome aboard Michael. Will people start talking if we keep meeting like this? Uh . . . Wait, we're here to talk. Cool eh?

Blacksmithing is good therapy for PTSD. Controlling the iron means you have to control the tools  and to do that you have to have control of yourself. It's very meditative and it's REQUIRED to play with fire and hit things with hammers!

Like puns?

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard Michael!

Start making things and sharing pictures.  Be prepared for the curmudgeons to bash you if you are unsafe or insist you know more than you do.  Just think of it as having chosen five or ten new drill sergeants!

I can’t say enough about the power of blacksmithing to keep a person centered and focused.

My advice for you:  Get good tongs!  Seriously, avoid the frustration of terrible smithing, mis-hits, and dropped work.  Tongs=sanity.

Lou