I Forge Iron

New post vise...with questions

Scott Massey

Evening, gents..

I recently acquired a post vise for my sins, (before pic posted). In my efforts to gussie her up I ran into some items I couldn't answer, and I thought I'd put those items before your collective knowledge. 

1) In my efforts to disassemble her for cleaning, the screw box wouldn't come free of the free arm. Question #1: Did some manufacturers produce screw boxes that could not be removed from the frixed arm? (Note: the box moves freely, and I cleaned out the area around the box. There seems to be a nub on the box which prevents removal, but that's the extent of any impediment.)

2) I'd obviously love to know a bit of the history behind this. The only markings on her are an "M", (or a poorly stamped "W"), and a "6" stamped underneath both arm jaws, and a pretty distinctive "3" under the mounting plate. I'm fully aware of the lack of identification surrounding post vices, but if anyone has an idea, I'd be interested.

3) Prior to disassembly for cleaning the jaw alignment was pretty reasonable. After my ham-handed attempts to put the pieces back in order, the jaw alignment has taken a turn for the worse. Perhaps 1/4" out of a complete meeting of the jaw faces. Question #3; can the jaw alignment be "adjusted", for want of a better word, for a more complete meeting of the jaw faces? (I'm questioning the necessity of this, but I'd prefer a closer tolerance.)

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

20180318_192050.jpg

20180323_160255.jpg

On #1 all I have seen the screw box should come out. The looseness of the was so they could pivot to match whe screw as it wound out further. 

It is possible the screw and box may be replacements from another slightly larger vise. Or it's just rusted or gulled in there. If that is the case I'd recommend soaking in penetrating oil and occasional "light" taps with a wood, plastic, rawhide or other soft hammer. Don't get too aggressive. 

On #3 are you sure you put the bolt in the same way it came out? And how much was it rusted up?