I Forge Iron

Neighbors with noise conpliant

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/8/2018 at 6:56 AM, Phantom309 said:

The issue isn't the anvil noise but the (admittedly very loud) little propane forge I'm using.

If you're not using a ribbon burner then you should look into those.  I'm using a naturally aspirated ribbon burner  (NARB) and although there is a dull roar at forge welding temperatures, I can listen to the radio and/or carry on a conversation with someone while standing next to the forge.  I still have to fight the urge to turn up the pressure because it doesn't sound loud enough at normal forging temperatures.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48001-naturally-aspirated-ribbon-burner-photo-heavy/

Oops, I didn't see that Frosty had already posted the link.

You may just want to talk with them and show that you understand their concerns. You don't know what your neighbor is experiencing. Literally. A friendly conversation and maybe even asking your neighbor to go to your forge and bang on the anvil and run the blower while you listen from the neighbor's house may show 1) what this person is hearing or smelling may be out of hand and 2) that you're willing to stand in your neighbor's shoes. You may be surprised that by simply acknowledging the other person's experience may go a long way to finding a solution.

I have neighbors who like to run a leaf blower until after dark while their bratty children shriek at all hours. And unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we heard the adults having sex last summer and there is no such thing as ear bleach. Here's the kicker: I live in the country and their house is easily 1,000 feet away but because of topography, the noise carries. Interestingly, the reverse is not true---they can't hear us like we can hear them. Thank dog. I'm not going to call the cops on them because it's just how it is, so wev. And besides, I don't know if they'd want to know that we can hear them doing...stuff. Which makes us laugh. A lot. Someone over their needs to do some cardio, if you get my drift.

Your neighbor may be experiencing something similar---not the sex stuff, but what doesn't sound (or smell) terrible to you may be traveling right into your neighbor's living space, and dude, that's not cool. And it may turn out to that what you hear from their house is okay for you, but not for them. Maybe they have a kid, or their sick, or they're just different from you. Some people are really sensitive to certain sounds and smells. Some people treasure their quiet. That doesn't mean you have to bend to their demands, but acknowledging our differences is respectful and can make for a better community all the way around.

Right, I'm educating myself about ribbon burners now, so thanks for the suggestion. I doubt I can incorporate one into my existing forge so some DIY may be in order to make something suitable, although I guess I can probably use the burner I have and feed it into a ribbon burner. The plot has thickened with the neighbours - they  have sold the house and are obviously worried about the sale falling through due to their monstrously noisy and clearly satanic neighbour. I've assured them that I will try to find ways of reducing the noise or doing whatever to make sure nobody gets annoyed, but that equally I can't accept a blanket ban on forging because it can potentially disturb them. I then got a load of "It's a fire hazard", "It could set fire to my garden," "What if the kids blah blah" and my personal favourite, a slightly imploring and somewhat admonishing "It's not a normal thing to have in a garden, is it?" Anyway, sound proofing, ribbon burners and coal forges all to be investigated.

Hi, whereabouts are you in Nottingham? I've just started forging (practising making hooks mainly) following a whole day spent with a blacksmith in Sheffield. I too use a gas forge but haven't had any noise complaints yet just low level murmurings from the wife about how I ought to be making myself useful in the house rather than "messing about in the garage".

Eugene, if you go and help the wife in the house and do it right she will inevitably runn you off and be glad to have you exiled to the garage. Helping fold fitted sheets is a good start, as is laundry and dishes. Just once of you dying her whites pink, whashing the glasses after the greasy pans in luke warm water and wading up the sheets will get you exiled from house work. If not braking a few of those hideous nicknacks wile dusting and sweeping surly will. 

19 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Eugene, if you go and help the wife in the house and do it right she will inevitably runn you off and be glad to have you exiled to the garage. Helping fold fitted sheets is a good start, as is laundry and dishes. Just once of you dying her whites pink, whashing the glasses after the greasy pans in luke warm water and wading up the sheets will get you exiled from house work. If not braking a few of those hideous nicknacks wile dusting and sweeping surly will. 

Thanks for the advice, not sure my marriage is this strong!

19 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Conversely, making some items that are useful/decorative around the house when you are "messing about in the garage" may go a long way towards her being more supportive of your messing about.

I'm a little ways off from useful or decorative at the moment but hope to get there in the end.

My wife has a favorite saying about that sort of technique:  You gotta sleep sometime!  Of course we have a commuter marriage after 30 years of cohabitation. When she's visiting; I allow her to rearrange the kitchen as she thinks is mandatory and just set things back where they *belong* after she leaves.  We realize that after I retire we will have to go through that newly wed process again...