I Forge Iron

Length of propane tank forge

(M)

I have a 20lb propane tank (12" diameter) that i want to make a forge out of.  I have a 3/4" tee burner.  I have a sufficient amount of kaowool and refractories to make a half round design with a flat floor.  i know only about 5-6" of material needs to be heated at any time.  I was thinking about 8" long, leaving me with about 230" cubic.  I will position the burner tangential to the wall so it induces a vortex.  Is 8" too short? Too long? Will that cause too much back pressure? 

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks Wayne, i have looked at that, and my design is slightly different than the one you describe (but i have taken quite a bit from what you say) , i guess what i'm asking is "whats the point of having a 12" forge if a 8" forge will do the job just fine with less fuel needed?"

Non-refillableFreon and helium cylinders continue to be available, but I don't know how available outdated free propane cylinders are these days. Back when I was writing my book there were loads of them around because most old cylinders were being phased out by a change in safety requirements.

Actually, the better move is to mount one end back on with hinges and a latch; this allows you to place the occasional bulky shape in the forge, and then easily remove it without damage to the forge interior; it also porvidesgenerous access to the forge for repairs.

I know that i want to use it for making knives, machetes, decorative hooks, decorative mini-leaves, hardy tools, and hammers.  Probably damascus at some point.  

I guess the main thing i was asking is would a forge that size and shape with ~150 cubic inch volume work with a 3/4" burner?  Or do i need a smaller burner or bigger forge? A forge like that can heat up basically whatever fits inside(within reason) right?