I Forge Iron

"if weather permits"

I: watch TV, write, doodle, cook, bake, nap with the dogs and cats, keep the fire going. I COULD go out, warm the anvil up, light the forge and be miserable when condensation starts raining on me but why?

Frosty The Lucky.

It seems here in the northeast U.S. I just finally get rid of the snow and the driveway starts to dry out and we get more snow.  I can't wheel out my heavy stump and 179 lb anvil out of the garage as the cart with metal wheels will sink once it hits the mushy dirt driveway.  I thought about bringing out my square block mounted on a post and do some forging but there's something wrong with a hot forge going and snow flakes falling all around.

I use this time to make new tooling, put handles on hammers I"ve bought, and other non-forging but blacksmith related stuff.  I also design projects I want to get going on as soon as the weather breaks.  I have lantern hooks, a towel rack, and some decorative door pieces I've designed and thought about all winter.

What also stinks up here in the north is that I can't visit the scrap yard as everything is covered in snow.  It melts off and I think "Good, I'll get up there Saturday morning" and........it snows again.  Old man winter just won't let go this year.  I'd rather have early snow in November and have the March's I grew up with where it was warm and things were muddy.

Supposed to be 75F here today, so winters are not that bad. But, summer is a whole different animal - just too hot to forge when it is 115F outside, and lows can be 90F at 3am. By 9am you are back up to 100F. Several times I have seen 100F at midnight. June, July, and August are just brutal.

Rain has stopped here so no problem. March is a hot month here if it's not raining but we are used to the heat. Cyclone predicted off the coast, but it looks like moving further south than us. Brisbane is getting ready.

Third major winter storm in the North East US, sunny and in the '70's (degF) here in the South West. I turned off my furnace, (stopped the pilot light and cut the gas to the furnace at the valve) and turned down the water heater last night.  Propane is better spent on other things---like heating metal!