It's not that impressive but I thought it was pretty cool, especially for a beginner project. It was the first time I used a swage block as well.

I found an awesome guy who's been smithing as a hobby for 30+ years and he has an open forge every Sunday. I've been trying to make it out to his shop as much as I can.

-m

sawblade bowl_small.jpg

Now think of it as a lamp shade, paint the interior white. (some make good bells too)

Great! More ideas... :huh:  

Deffinately neat Mutant. 

I have a stack of old saw blades that I wanted to do this with. If you have a bunch, save the carbide teeth as scrap carbide can run $4-$14 a # depending on the current market.

The manufacturers that got back with me told me that the concrete saw blade bodies are made out of 4140, if you want to try a large bowl.

Thanks for the suggestions! After I make a few of these, I would like to tackle a larger blade. I’m a big fan of recycling items and retaining some characteristic of its original form.

-m

The ideas on this site just never stop coming!! I have loads of those blades and never gave them a chance of being used as bowls or, indeed, lampshades. (I only use them to  cut a section out for combs on scrap-art chooks). You would have to grind off the points a bit for safety I guess.

Did you flatten the base a little or add three lugs to stop the bowl rolling?

Hey ausfire - the blade has a hole in the center to mount on the saw itself. It helps keep the bowl steady.

An excellent idea! Granted, the 5 ft saw blade I picked up from the sawmill would be a little big for this... Maybe I'll have to make a fountain or planter... 

When I look at the bowl I see one of my beloved hole saws. I picture making a bowl and hooking it up to a windmill and let the teeth engage a wind chime like a music box. 

A 5' blade would make a party wok!

Frosty The Lucky.

A rather violent-looking bowl -- perhaps "ET too brutish"?