I Forge Iron

Starting a very small businuess

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh, here's a tip for you. Look up the WORD, it's much easier than looking up definitions. 

I didn't even take a friendly poke at you about taking your shoes off. Am I a nice guy or what?

Having to go to the dictionary so often is one of the things I love about Iforge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well you know, Oklahoma, nuff said?   (My Mother is from Oklahoma, the rest of the family is from Arkansas; which as a friend pointed out: "Arkansas is just Mississippi with shoes...")

Don't let it bother you; you can just ignore the word play and think to yourself that "that weird boy is acting up again!"

I've only visited Oklahoma briefly once in 1968 so I can't say as I do. . . Know Oklahoma that is. I know less about Arkansas or Mississippi though I've seen the river once, up Michigan way. 

"That" is hardly a way to distinguish between weird boys around here don't you think?

Frosty The Lucky.

You don't need to pronounce what you read if you aren't reading out loud.:rolleyes:

You can in fact make up your own pronunciations. Some years ago I was surprised to realize I was pronouncing anything a certain . . . person said, "PLLLLT" and not remembering any of it.

Proper spelling and clean desks are signs of an unimaginative mind. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I probably do not drive the correct auto myself! 

I learned most of my vocabulary by reading and so can't pronounce a lot of it correctly and, unfortunately, spelling was not one of my strong points.  It's perfectly possible to just read the site for blacksmithing and ignore the verbal jocularity; in fact it may save you from the ire of the hammer of grammar!

"Proper" spelling is younger than the London Pattern anvil!

Thomas  I know I could just read the blacksmithing parts without bothering to read all the other stuff.  but I still wish I could understand what’s being said when y’all really get up an goin,  without having to look it up.

The plus side is I think I learn more random facts and words on here just by trying to keep up with y’all then I ever did in school, the military or any job I ever had. 

Frosty, don’t worry about me having a any clean desk, I’ve got three benches in my repair shop and at any given time they are buried under torn down machines except for my desk and it’s buried under tickets and parts books. but I do make a point to keep my shop floor clean I can’t stand tripping over stuff. 

Mother bought me a dictionary when I was pretty young so I'd start using words sort of for their intended purpose. I was pretty close I still define new words from context unless it doesn't make sense. 

HAH! Other than an obviously empty threat to correct ALL my mistakes I think John's given up except in extremis. 

Uh, about your rational for sweeping, "can't stand" is the meaning of tripping isn't it? Oh WAIT, you just slipped one in on us didn't you!?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, if you were in Michigan and saw the MIssissippi River either you or the river were seriously misoriented.  The river flows between Minnesota and Iowa and Wisconsin and Illinois in its northern reaches.  That said, you have a hard time getting from the western to the eastern halves of the US without crossing it unless you go way north.

Similarly, I know the western US and the upper Midwest pretty well but have only made a few trips into the SE part of the country over the years.  The only time I have been in Alaska was at the Anchorage Airport on the way to Vietnam in 1970.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thomas it’s not about the dirt it’s about hoses, cords, parts boxes, old parts, tools an so on. I Get into a job that requires every tool I own to be drug out and before I know it I can’t even walk to the door lol. So I try to keep everything picked up off the floor as best I can, Also I gave up on sweeping unless it’s something I don’t want blown outside, I just use a leaf blower now to sweep up. 

YES! We were crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin! Or maybe Illinois, I don't think we saw Iowa but maybe. I was surprised it wasn't as big as I thought. 

We flew down to load Deb's stuff in a 23' van and drive it here with stops to visit along the way of course. We've flown in and back a couple more times we have good friends living just north of Minneapolis. 

I've never been farther south east than Marshfield Wisconsin. 

Deb and I plan of rectifying that probably starting next summer. Wool Gathering and Quad State are on our to do list.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, it would be neat if y’all was able to get some wool from every state and then make a project with a little bit from everywhere. 
Thomas, not to change the subject but last week while you we’re away you told me when you got back that you would get a picture of your mini post vise, I was wondering if you might have a chance today? 

37 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I think John's given up except in extremis.

For all my particularity about spelling and grammar (which comes both from having a mother who's an editor and also from a big part of my job involving clear and precise written communication with some pretty highly educated folks), I'm much more concerned about the IFI community being welcoming and accessible to everyone, regardless of their level of education, of whether or not English (with its wildly irregular grammar, vocabulary, and spelling) is their first language, or of how skillful they are with a computer keyboard. I've seen far too many otherwise-excellent communities and discussions taken over by "grammar Nazis" and pedants, so I keep my editorial impulses as much in check as possible -- except of course when absolutely necessary to clarify what someone actually means.