I Forge Iron

A cautionary tale- respiratory health

MotoMike

A cautionary tale.  was cutting some blanks for a project from 1x3/8 flat stock.  had my gas forge warming up while using  my angle grinder with a cut off wheel.  When I finished cutting I looked at my forge and saw the dragon breath had thousands of sparkys in it. Quite pretty.  At first I wondered if something had broken down in the forge, but then realized that my cutting had put invisible particles in the air.  even with a breeze going through the shop, it must have suspended and mixed it throughout the shop.  took it about 3 or 4 minutes to go away.  So I thought this is a good lesson on leaving your respirator on for a while after using the angle grinder.

I also wondered if the "Safety Discussion" section would be better positioned near the top of the forum topics.

it wont matter. many people refuse to look at anything except the top of the opening page, and some dont even look they only come here to post for when they need something. Attempting to get people to actually read things has been an on going problem.  location wont change that

Excellent reminder. I recently purchased 3 more respirators and placed them strategically around my shop after reading someone’s post on IFI, with that idea. It has helped me be more aware, and likely to put one on, even for a “quick” job.

I also like your Safety Discussion idea. If only one accident or injury is averted by an attempt to raise awareness, it is most certainly worth it.

8 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Don't forget to keep the respirators in a ziploc or other sealed container to maintain the life of the cartrages. 

More important for vapor and fume respirators than for dust only, but yeah.