I Forge Iron

This is my first post and  I just started learning but found a good place to get coal if you don't mind a drive depending where you live. It's in xxxx, colorado. Probably a bit of a drive but their coal is $100 per ton, just call xxxxxxxxxxxx at xxx xxx xxxx. Follow their menu to purchasing and they will direct you to the person to buy through. I'm not sure what kind of coal they have as I haven't managed to pick any up yet. Once I do I will update everyone with more detail.

1 hour ago, Steven Simons said:

I'm not sure what kind of coal they have.

How can you recommend something you have no information about, not know if it will even work or not, and have no analysis as to the BTU ratings, ash content, etc?

Was posting to share a direct from coal mine source that I found. That comes at a good price from the research i have been able to do for other sources. I intend to pick some up once I am out there next and give it a shot.   I simply meant that I don't know if the coal is anthracite or bituminous 

Its coal is sold to power stations as fuel.

It has almost a 9.8% ash content. This means for every 100 pounds of coal you get 9.8 pounds of ash.

There has been other listing of ash being lower in the below 6% range.

That's good to know though I admit I don't know what ash percentage is ideal as I am just getting into blacksmithing, also I noticed the x's on the post. Is there a specific place or method I should post info for someone with greater knowledge than myself to find out more info on the coal available? 

I know a smith that was given several tons of coal *free*---it was so bad he ended up using it as gravel for his driveway/walks.  So adding to  the Hávamál:

"Praise not a day until it is over. Praise not a sword until it is tried. Praise not ice until it is crossed. Praise not  ale until it is drunk."

Praise not a coal source until it is tested .

Steven: Welcome aboard, glad to have you, if you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Truth is if you don't even know how to find out about a subject you should NOT post data about it. Frankly your initial posts read like an advertisement rather than a question. Here's a basic research hint for you. If you want to know about a product, say coal as in this instance, who is better to ask, a random bunch of folk spread around the world OR the producers?

Frosty The Lucky.