I Forge Iron

How To Forge a Non Welded Ring into a Heart (Trivet) Video #2

This is a complete "How to" On forging a Non welded ring into a Heart shape (Trivet) though part 2.. And as such focuses more details on making the ring into a heart..  It really is the 2nd part of video #1 which has detailed instructions in the ring making process with all the instructions detailed.  This part 2 has more details in shaping the heart.. 

This will conclude the series On items made with no welding which typically one would use welding for..   This video "How to" series includes  2 different ways to make tongs, making a round ring and now a heart ring.. 

The other videos in the series are listed on the Youtube channel..   Feedback is always welcome..  Enjoy..  Jennifer

Ok. Just finished watching. Ended going back a couple times to see the process better after understanding the end result. You have incredible talent. And thank you for sharing. I know I will use this in the annart project for my wife. You make it look so effortless, but I expect to run into some challenges. It is so great that you show a start to finish process because it gives me the whole process to use to try and replicate with an expected result, yet also knowing how it will look along the way. Being new to this and not having someone nearby to show me, this is the next best thing. Great work on the heart and the video. The other thing I wanted to mention was the two angles at the same time help me see and understand what you are doing, much better than a single angle. That is probably the biggest reason an hour video takes me 50% to 100% longer. I often go back through a series of your work and end up watching both angles to better understand how and why you do things.

The only question I have is at the first of the video you seem to be building up the metal in the area where the top “v” will be. Can you describe if that is what you were doing and why you were doing it?

8 hours ago, DavidF said:

Ok. Just finished watching. Ended going back a couple times to see the process better after understanding the end result. You have incredible talent. And thank you for sharing. I know I will use this in the annart project for my wife. You make it look so effortless, but I expect to run into some challenges. It is so great that you show a start to finish process because it gives me the whole process to use to try and replicate with an expected result, yet also knowing how it will look along the way. Being new to this and not having someone nearby to show me, this is the next best thing. Great work on the heart and the video. The other thing I wanted to mention was the two angles at the same time help me see and understand what you are doing, much better than a single angle. That is probably the biggest reason an hour video takes me 50% to 100% longer. I often go back through a series of your work and end up watching both angles to better understand how and why you do things.

The only question I have is at the first of the video you seem to be building up the metal in the area where the top “v” will be. Can you describe if that is what you were doing and why you were doing it?

Thanks for the kind words.. It makes the time commitment worth it.. :) Thank you..

If you have a chance watch video #1 in the series of Non welded rings..  It has much more detail with better instructions for the process involved with getting the ring ready for splitting.. 

the answer to you question::    You will lose material in both ends of the bar just either side of the punched hole as you open it...  The metal has to come from somewhere as it gets a wider opening..

The forging process is called upsetting and is one of the fundamental skills needed by a blacksmith..   Upsetting is one of the harder skills to master but Is used often..

Most people if given the choice will start with thicker material and thin out or (forge down) the cross sections vs upsetting and even in some journals will say the same thing..

Upsetting is the action of making thin-thicker at the same time you make the bar shorter in overall length..

In the video you will see  where it is punched the metal has been made thicker...  When you stretch metal it tries to pull itself apart. This elongation, or pulling will make those areas thinner than the starting stock size.. thus making the metal weaker in those areas..   While it's not that important in a trivet strength wise, cosmetically it will leave 4 deep grooves at each bend where the bar changed direction..

I would suggest making a round ring first and getting the technique down with upsetting the ends and the video How to #1 on the subject really has most of it laid out for a first run success..

Thanks for the feedback on the video..  Post back with results.. :) 

I pulled this from Youtube as it's a great question:  Hope Lou doesn't mind.. 

Newb question: would it be possible to sharpen up the inside lines of the heart (bringing the interior “V” to a sharper point) by doing a convenience bend to 90 degrees and working it over the bick? Or would it destroy the symmetry?

Lou L
JLP Services Inc

Yes, it is possible.   but you would not gain that much for the xtra work with a convenience bend.. and yes it would add to the complexity  as the bend will not return back to normal when straightened..  Using the horn as a form/swage is the simplest way to achieve the radius and V..

This was the 2nd Non welded ring heart.. The first one was larger in diameter with deeper V and pointier bottom V.. All the footage from the 1st filming was useless on the front camera " Anvil face" (bought a new camera and didn't know how to use it) The size of the ring is where you could gain merit out of it.. 

In this video  I have the ring completely heated and hit it in the V with the Peen to even the heart shape and expand it.. This ring was smaller than the 1st one and all ready at the proper proportions for the length.. Any more and it would have created a smaller heart or made it look squatty..

With a larger ring, The extra length is pushed back on itself forcing the V deeper into the hearts center Then brought to the horn for finishing and this will give you a deeper V inside the heart..  (first heart had a deeper V)..

Keep in mind,   it could be refined as much as a person wanted to,  forged, filed, wire brushed,  but for me making this video it would offer little in the teaching/learning process.  As the steps are there for anybody else to play with.. :) Hint, hint..  :)

I too like a more defined V both in the hearts crotch and at the bottom V ..   I could have made it move V shaped but opted to leave it as it was..  Just because of time and video editing.. Ouch.. 70hrs edit with the PIP.. :(

Refinement are up to the individual person.. The finished product is produced in the least amount of time, with the least amount of tools. without a lot of fiddling to make it extraordinary..(kitchen cookware aside as these need to be polished).

One of the largest things to remember about any of these "How To" videos is these are showing and teaching a " Skill Set" ..  Little nuances here or there unless directly needed for a finished product are excluded (not used)..  Each video will give you all the information needed to complete the project..

The heart ring from this video and then from the video that didn't live.. You can see the difference.. The extra material makes a difference..  Also this was noted in one of the titles.. I used 7.5" of stock and 8" would have given that little extra.. But  these videos are all shot without story board, script.. Just turn the cameras on and see where it goes.. :) 

Hope this helps.. :) 

27982618_1917213731922031_9193802638940790607_o.jpg

20180305_104347.jpg

Thanks!  I seriously didn’t expect that complete of an answer.  I figured that some disfiguring would happen and wondered if the cost benefit was there.  I’m certain I would have tried the convenience bend and suffered mightily to turn my egg back into a heart.  

Ive heard two things...I think:

1.  Forge with patience and keep it simple stupid.

2.  You won’t really know until you do it yourself...so go do it...stupid :)

Seriously, thanks for all the time you put into your response.

Lou

Sorry about the long reply..  I have a dislike of misunderstandings and the interweb has a tendency to create that for me..

As you know a picture is worth a thousand words and a demonstration is like "Wham"..  I get it now.. :) 

#2. I hope it was kinder than that...   

Your welcome..    my only goal producing any of these is so people can use the demonstrations to further their personal skill sets..   As long as you get something out of them, that is the only thing that matters..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 9:59 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Sorry about the long reply..  I have a dislike of misunderstandings and the interweb has a tendency to create that for me..

As you know a picture is worth a thousand words and a demonstration is like "Wham"..  I get it now.. :) 

#2. I hope it was kinder than that...   

Your welcome..    my only goal producing any of these is so people can use the demonstrations to further their personal skill sets..   As long as you get something out of them, that is the only thing that matters..

I added the “stupid” part myself!  Self deprecation is necessary for me to control my ego.  Seriously!  Plus, it’s funny when people call themselves stupid ironically.