I Forge Iron

Antique forge still good for starting

lukerec

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i did some more scavenging and i found an electric blower. Any idea on how to make it work. Also found a bunch of steel like lawnmower blades and some springs. My dad said he had an a400 sheet somewhere and he wanted to know if it was any good

Well if it's like this electric blower all you have to do is this and that.  But if it's like a different electric blower you need to do this other thing. And some won't do it at all! Some you can tune with a rheostat, others you can and you have to use an airgate.

If that's AR400 plate it's great for some things and terrible for others. (I grabbed this from the onealsteel.com website): 

"AR400, AR450 and AR500 plate are used in applications where abrasive materials such as grains, coal, ore, cement, gravel, light aggregate, and earth are being handled. It is a common material for conveyors, chutes, linings, hoppers and handling equipment in the materials handling and mining industries.

Abrasion resistant steels are not intended for structural applications. These steels should not be used for structural or main load-bearing members because of the possibility that brittle fracture may occur in these high hardness steels at the high stress levels encountered in such applications."

PLEASE give some thought to asking questions that can be answered. 

If I ask you: Hey I have a nonworking pickup---what do I need to do to get it working? Can you give a good answer? (Cause I have one sitting in front of the casita...)

yes that was pretty much my question. do you know if lawnmower blades are any good for knives. they arent your average lawnmower blades either. they came off of our batwing that we pull behind a tractor that runs it my the pto shaft and other crap but all im trying to say is its a beefed up regular lawnmower blade and is it good for making knives

John Deere is reputed to make their regular lawnmower blades from 5160 spring steel, which can make an okay blade. Other manufacturers use different alloys, and even JD might use other steels for other kinds of blades. In other words, maybe, maybe not. 

Take a look in the bladesmithing portions of the forum. There are many discussions of both lawnmower blades and how to evaluate mystery steel.