I Forge Iron

Kast o lite layering or joints

Hello everyone I am a new member and have joined to get advice and learn about smithing so I can help my son who is very interested in this as a hobby. He’s 17 and I’m really happy he’s interested in this type of work rather than video games and such.

Anyway I have been helping my son build his forge folllowing instructions from multiple sources online and we’ve managed to get to the point at which we’re laying down the the Kast o lite 30. I understand most use a propane bottle but we’ve decided to use a 12x12x3/8 square steel tube. I wanted to lay all four sides of the Kast o lite last night but I got called away and was only able to put one side down. It’s been air drying now for 12 hours  

Having the time to finish it tonight I was going to put the other 3 sides in but I was concerned about the edges bonding. Do I need to worry about this?  I’m not going to leave a gap but I wasn’t sure if it needed a bonding agent like concrete does when poured to existing slabs. 

Also if repairs are needed in the future how do you apply the new KOL to the old once it’s been fired and used  

Thanks for your help. 

The main purpose of the Kastolite is to provide a durable shell inside the forge to protect the insulation, mostly from mechanical damage as you move pieces in and out of the forge.  It only needs to be able to support its own weight when hot rather than have significant load bearing properties.  The point is even if you do not get a good bond to the layer you already cast it's not a big deal.  As long as it covers the insulation layer you're fine.  A lot of us make 2 piece forges with a cast floor and then a shell that sits on top of it, so there's no bonding at all between the pieces of the forge.

Buzzkill's advice is good you don't need a bond there at all.

But if you do have a need for a bond with Kastolite 30, I've used water and an old toothbrush to wet down the area and rough it up a bit, then cast the new onto it. As long as it hasn't dried too much and, of course, hasn't been fired, it'll bond pretty well. Kind of like making a slurry with clay. Once it's fired, it won't bond to new.

Welcome Ztugdriver, to get the best out of the forum, I suggest you read this thread. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

It's great that you are trying to get your son interested in blacksmithing. You didn't mention laying in insulation under the Kast o Lite 30. For the most efficient forge there should be a 2 inch layer of Kaowool or similar put in first and ridgidized. There are several good threads dealing with this. I would suggest not relying on You Tube for instructions as there are a lot of people who claim to be experts and are actually giving out dangerous advice about building gas forges.

Thanks guys for the info and advice. I was looking for a thread like that as I’m a member of a few forums and they all seem to have a similar page but I couldn’t find it. Maybe the admins can put it in the welcome email after signing up. I will read the link tonight. To clarify a bit I did lay down 2” of kaowool and sprayed rigidizer on it before applying the KOL 30. For the most part I have followed instructions on how to build forges the only difference is I used a steel square tube no a propane tank. I’m glad to hear that the bond is not an issue as much as I thought. Thanks again for all your help. I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me in the near future. 

So, Mikey will cut to the chase, and save you a lot of needless reading. You have made a small box forge. Such a forge is simplest to heat with a single top-down facing burner. Without going into a long list of reasons why, Frosty's "T" burner will work best in any such forge, so forget the Burners 101 thread, and go state to his thread.

Good luck.

And, PLEASE position the burner toward the back of the forge--not the front! Now I'll be good and shut up.

Welcome aboard Ztugdriver, glad to have you. Kastolite products are sticky as all gitout! The stuff will stick to a plastic milk jug, I cut one down to make a scoop and had to throw it away after ONE use because I couldn't get the Kastolite cleaned off it. The stuff is very forgiving and tough.

I pulled some real half baked things with it and it's working just fine, better than the forge works it's a real under performer but the liner is hard, tough and ugly. None of it the Kastolite's fault. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol! Mikey made it one replybefore he broke his commitment! Maybe it has been a long day, but that seriously cracked me up. Read the last three posts and tell me if I am just looney from today... I won’t give him too hard of a time, because he is one of the best resources (if not primary) for helping on this. It just reminds me of the part in the movie “Fargo” when Steve Buscemi is stating that he is going to give some9ne the silent treatment, but he goes on and on about not saying another word. That was classic. Thanks @Mikey98118. It may have not been intentional, but you made my day