I Forge Iron

Klein Lineman’s Hammer?

bajajoaquin

A lineman's hammer has two flat(ish) faces, so you'll need to modify one face (as @MotoMike did) to make it a true rounding hammer. If you want to spend time on grinding and money on grinding wheels, go for it.

BUT!

You could spend exactly the same amount of money and get an actual rounding hammer from a farrier's supply house, all ready to go. Your call.

Guessing the Klein must have a rubber handle, the Vaughn does not.  I'd had mine unaltered for years largely unused before I took up the trade.  I think they go for $30 or so.      It didn't take much to round one head, don't think even one flap disc.

The Klein I’ve seen has a wooden handle and one round face one flat face. It sounds like if that’s the case, then no, there’s no difference. Right?

edited to add: maybe the work was done already and it was re-handled. If it’s a good deal, I’ll pick it up 

If it has one rounded face and one flatfish face it is a rounding hammer, two flat faces is a lineman’s hammer. Avouid dead flat faces. A dead flat face will jump in your hand and mar your work unless you hit perfectly flat (I know because the two rounding hammmrs I got in shoeing school were flat) takes a lot of work to properly dress a flat hammer. Worse hammer I own is an east wing carpenters hammer with a concave face and energy absorbing handle. They discontinued this poorly designed thing fortunately.

From what I understand Vaughn manufacturers contract hammers that get re-branded for other firms.  Klein specializes in tools for electricians.  I suspect that Klein sells far fewer hammers than linemans pliers.  If so, it might benefit them to contract order them from a company that specializes in hammers.

I have a Vaughn electricians hammer that's a dead-ringer for my co-workers Klein brand electricians hammer.  I've also got a Vaughn ball pein that's identical to a Craftsman.  I've found situations where one is cheaper than the other with no rhyme or reason to it.  Vaughn makes excellent hammers so I'd buy them in whatever brand was cheapest.

Charles is right about flat faced hammers.  I have a cheapo "Hofi-ish" egronomic hammer that's got a huge flat face.  It's just plain horrible for jumping and marring work.  Until I find time to dress it with a more rounded face, I won't use it because it's exhausting to constantly fight the twisting and scarring.