I Forge Iron

Preventing equipment sweat

I've found that polished items tend to take longer to rust and form an easier to remove layer when they do.  Cold gun bluing can be good for stuff like hammers.  It'll wear off the struck faces but everything else stays fairly rust free. 

Wax will work but it catches fire when you put hot steel on the face.  I used some old fryer oil (peanut)  for tool quenching and figured I'd give it a try for an anvil coating.  I wiped off the excess and used the anvil like normal.  The peanut oil burnt into a sticky residue that was hard to get off.  I ended up using a wire wheel in my angle grinder to get the last of it off.  That wire wheel still smells faintly of french fries.

Timber Ridge-- I'm about 70 miles south of you on the south bank of the Kankakee river out in the country and get the condensation in my pole barn shop also. Nothing seems to stop the sweating real good. I use Marvell mystery oil before it gets bad but right now is really damp. We are under a flood watch too.

Jerry

Yeah so far the best I think I have found is a thin layer of chain saw bar oil as long as you clean it off before you use your anvil it works well but yesterday was rough everything that was bare metal had a nice coat of rust on it that. I think I will give a box fan a try the next time it warms up

Try a canvas on your anvil. I use no spray of any description and have no rust on the anvil ever. I would have plenty if I left it uncovered. 

As far as spray to prevent rust, I spray my boat trailer with Lanolin spray. Sticks like the proverbial and smells real nice.