I Forge Iron

Decorative Fire Rake

ripleycopa

I spent four hours at the Tom Kennon Blacksmith Shop in Doniphan, MO on Saturday working on a new fire tool for the shop. I had a nice model to work from made by another smith that we received as a trade item at a BAM meeting several years ago but I wanted a different decorative handle and twist so I studied up on YouTube and completed my first Rubic or Cube Twist on the center of the shaft. I did not want to use that twist as a handle grip so I made the handle grip with a thorn twist. The entire piece was drawn out of a 25 inch long piece of 5/8 inch square stock. Although I left the working rake end unfinished, I did a power wire brushing and a brass brushing on the twists while at a black heat and then, when cool, applied a spray acrylic lacquer to protect the brass coating.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Nice work with both twists. OK, I've been trying to work out how you got the thorn twist. Nearest I can figure is you made a line of punch marks with a bob punch on opposite sides of the stock and then twisted it. Something like that?