I Forge Iron

Platinum forging?

The ASM Metals Handbook, Desk Edition has about a page on the working of Platinum mention it's high ductility saying that it can be reduced by 98% by rolling or wire drawing with slow increase in work hardening---chart provided.

It mentions being careful to avoid contamination of the surface through contact with iron and that that may cause cracking.

Wire drawing of platinum and platinum alloys is done almost exactly like copper.

I would check Oppi Untracht's "Metalworking Techniques for Craftsmen" as well.  Unfortunately my copy is at the other house.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I just came across this video on youtube where they're forging platinum ingots with a power hammer and thought some here would find it interesting. This has to be by far the cleanest power hammer you'll ever see! The forging is at  4minutes 20 seconds but I found the entire video pretty interesting.

• 2 years later...

Hi Derek, 

Not sure if you found the information you were seeking. I have forged platinum ingots (about 6kg ingots for manufacture of plate, and 4kg ingots for manufacture of rod).

Things you need to do: Ensure you're using the correct forging temperature, clean your die sets and ram surfaces, use clean tongs, multiple heating operations are required.

Depending on the alloys you forge, your minimum forging temperature should be about 1200 degrees C. If you go hotter, its better as you further initiate the production of fine grains through dynamic re crystallization, coupled with severe plastic deformation. If you're thinking of forging platinum iridium alloys (in particular anything over 20%) you must be aware that a minimum forging temperature of 1500 degrees C is used; If not you run the risk of creating central busts in your bar/sheet, which will ultimately lead to failure of components manufactured.

Platinum is a great conductor of heat, so you need to hammer quickly whilst its losing heat. IF your hammer is large enough, you will get heat generation within the bar. We use a 150kg hammer and even with preheating of die sets, we still seem to lose heat quickly. So because platinum is a great conductor of heat and very plastic, you will quickly pickup some trace amounts of steel on the surface. The cleaner your anvil and hammer head is, the less pickup you will get. Also keep your tongs cleaned for the same reason. 

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris

shown below is a preform in PtIr20% alloy

image.png.7ba0997a0ea7823782472413c501fdfe.png