I Forge Iron

3" flip top custom cane head

Hey all, my name is Azrael, AZ for short. I was told about this site a few years back from a smith at a Ren Faire in New Mexico. The guy was from Legacy Forge in Alvarado, Tx. Moved soon after, just found his card and decided to join. I've tried doing some research on my own, but it's been difficult without knowing what even to research. Basically a know-nothing.

Anyways, I have a design I sketched out and I have no idea what kind of metal I should use for it. My major concerns are durability and weight. It's going to be a 3" flip top custom cane head. I wanted put a custom zippo in it, so I'm worried about the metal burning over time. I don't know what type of metal, (was thinking pewter) will make it too heavy to be practical.

Any vets who can help me with answers and maybe help to make this since I have no materials or tools to do so on my own. .....I live in an apartment in the heart of Scottsdale Arizona. 

I'm the last one to comment on a screen name, so I'll just accept the statement that your name actually that of the biblical angle of death...

This is more a blacksmithing site than one that does a lot of casting, which is more likely what you will need to do to make your "custom" cane top.  This sounds like work for a jeweler to me, with the cane top either fabricated from sheet brass, or cast in aluminum or bronze.  As a lighter cap it should not be exposed to significant heat, so any metal should work.

You haven't included a copy of your sketch for some reason, so it is hard to respond further.  I think you are going to have some serious trouble with the 3" cap flipping mechanism though.  You will need both a latch and a hinge to work out, which won't be an insignificant design challenge.  If you plan on getting this made by a jeweler I hope you have deep pockets.  Depending on design I would expect a custom order to run far in excess of $500.

If you want to be a little flexible, you might consider looking into existing metal can tops and modifying one yourself.  Something like this, below, is available for under $20 from the woodcraft shop and with some careful drilling and hinge/latch design might work just fine for you:

525401.jpg?bw=800&w=800&bh=800&h=800 

I'm sure there are plenty of other options of pre-made tops as well.  Good luck.

Yes, that is my name. You're the first person to know the reference off hand. I've had to explain it to countless people. Whether you approve of my name or not, it makes me happy that you know it, so thank you. You genuinely made my day.

The reason I didn't include a sketch is because my tablet's camera doesn't work, and that's all I have. My computer was stolen a while ago and my tablet doesn't hook up to my printer (doubles as a scanner and fax). It's quite convenient. Anyways, I saw this yesterday, and borrowed my sister's phone for a picture and sent them to myself to show you, if that helps. The lined paper has all of the measurements. I didn't add an overall height to it. I was thinking 38" for the wood of the cane and 42" overall. 

bat .jpg

2018-02-16 13.50.10.png

Thee are a few ways you could go about that project. welded / soldered up from separate pieces, or cast would be the two obvious ones. I have an issue with the sharp wings and ears as projections since that is where your hand goes on a cane - unless there is a handle behind them that is not shown in your design drawing.......

No, the fingers would rest between the ears on the top of its head,  maybe around them. I wasn't planning on making the points as sharp as they look in the sketch. I was going to round them off a bit, because I was worried about that problem with the fangs as well. I realize that there isn't much space for grip. I'm 5'6" with small hands, so even something the size of a baseball would be too big.