I Forge Iron

Overseas visitors

ausfire

Mr. Powers,

Said,  "Yes I remember the Dinosaurs!" .

Query, Were they Cretaceous, or Jurassic dinosaurs, or both?

Did you happen to bump into Alley Oop? Perchance?

Earnest awaiting your reply.

Regards,

SLAG.

p.s. I am of the Precambrian persuasion myself.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slag; you *must* be related to Poo-Bah who mentions that he's:

"of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable. I can't help it. I was born sneering. But I struggle hard to overcome this defect. I mortify my pride continually. When all the great officers of State resigned in a body because they were too proud to serve under an ex-tailor, did I not unhesitatingly accept all their posts at once?"

My mother claims to remember when rocks were soft!

Senor Thomas,

Our distant ancestors were around when the amoeba evolved.

We have a primordial lineage.

They survived the Animalocaria of the Cambrian age. (found in the Burges shales.

Regards,

SLAG.

• 2 months later...

Visitors to the forge today included French, Swedish (they liked the Kohlswa) and a couple from Wales. I asked the Welsh couple where they lived and they said Newport, near Swansea. That rang a bell straight away, as I had just been writing a description label for a large steam winch we have in our mine workshop. It was made by the Uskside Co. of Newport, Monmouth. I told them of this and they asked if they could see the machine. They were amazed to see the name on the winch, here on the other side of the world from their little town. Anyway, selfies were taken with the nameplate and sent back to family in Wales, and they left happy to have discovered a link with their home.

This place is a really great place to work when you meet up with folks like that.

Here's a pic of the machine and the nameplate. Do we have any members from Wales, I wonder?

erskside.JPG

DSC_8923.JPG

That winch is worthy of a good selfie  Darryl!

Walking around Cairns today with one of my 10 year old daughters, we were guessing the tourist by their accents. Every second tourist had a familiar twang that was undoubtedly American.

She said to me when we got back to the car; "I can tell the Americans because they are always always so loud!"

Out of the mouths of babes!

I had a similar welsh story to yours, Darryl.

I was hitching around the land of the long white cloud, when i met a group of girls from Ebbw Vale in wales.

When i told them that there was a suburb in ipswich called Ebbw Vale, they were so excited that they made plans to go there when they got to brisbane the next week.

They would have been SO exited by the abandoned brickworks and run down workers cottages!

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Hey, they might have been into industrial archaeology. You never know.

They weren't.

They didn't have much on their agenda except meeting young eligible male companions...

I did not oblige...

As an enthusiast (of industrial archaeology) myself, i know others when i meet them!

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I certainly was when I was in Wales, managed to talk my wife into visiting the big pit!  

Relationship goals!

• 8 months later...

Frosty, I had a couple of your countrymen come by my forge today. Very nice people who were interested in the demo and had lots of questions.  The couple on the left come from Fairbanks, Alaska and the other two are from Seattle. They were happy to have their photo posted here.

DSC_0210.JPG