I Forge Iron

Cable Damascus Bowie, With a Hammon?

jmccustomknives

Got this one put together.  The blade was forged to shape from 1" crane cable.  I thought it might be cool to give it a hammon which on cable is kind of tricky to get.  The guard was forged from 1/2 cable leaving the live edge.  The handle is a chew toy I picked up from the pet store.  Yes, they sell elk antlers as chew toys.  lol.  The secondary wood is cocobolo.  The handle is a narrow tang/bolt through design.   I used a cable core placed in a copper tube as a decorative accent in the top of the handle.  No blade is complete without a sheath.  

2018-02-04 08.09.01.jpg

2018-02-04 08.08.23.jpg

2018-02-04 08.06.21.jpg

2018-02-04 11.56.08.jpg

Very nice.  This level of quality of forging and construction on a cable blade is one of the reasons that I've been attracted to knifemaking in the first place.  I really like the overall profile, crisp bevels, the guard and custom pin.  Not sure the hamon enhances the blade in this case, but it might be better in person.  Actually you might consider getting this one professionally photographed.  Not to disparage your current recording efforts, but a pro will nail the lighting better and  bring out the best in the piece.

11 hours ago, Latticino said:

Very nice.  This level of quality of forging and construction on a cable blade is one of the reasons that I've been attracted to knifemaking in the first place.  I really like the overall profile, crisp bevels, the guard and custom pin.  Not sure the hamon enhances the blade in this case, but it might be better in person.  Actually you might consider getting this one professionally photographed.  Not to disparage your current recording efforts, but a pro will nail the lighting better and  bring out the best in the piece.

Thank you, it is beyond flattering that you'd think it's worthy of a pro taking the pics.  Lighting this time of year is extra tough, it's either dark or bright.  Can't seem to hit that right amount.  It would be nice to have it done.   I'm not a fan of the hammon, just did it to show that I could.  lol

Thanks guys.  I've tried hard since the first time I got raked across the proverbial coals.  It didn't discourage me, but made me push harder. 

If you don't mind sharing, what is your etch process?

I'm finishing up my first gonat cable damascus and am looking for different options. 

This is a 1:2 FC:water, 3x 5 minute dips, light sand w/1000 grit and wipe with blue shop paper towel between each dip. Then soaked in a baking soda/water solution for 30 minutes. Final light sand and spray w/ WD40 to get the water off

IMG_8267.thumb.JPG.cd1e17551c5624a5c4767a8314131855.JPG

I like it so far, but always want to learn other methods. It is dark though...

Fantastic.  I just did my first and second cable projects this winter.  I still have a long way to go to reach your level.  Cable is fun, but different to work.  Looking forward to getting better at it.  I love the accent you did in the top of the handle.  Gives me some ideas.

13 hours ago, Jclonts82 said:

If you don't mind sharing, what is your etch process?

I'm finishing up my first gonat cable damascus and am looking for different options. 

Your etch looks good.  There are several factors that can effect the etch.  I like a strong dilution of FC and take the blade down no further than 800 grit.  The next factor is a proper heat treat.  The attached pic is 3 blades, the top is fully hardened; center is edge hardened and bottom isn't heat treated at all.  The last part if the temp of the etchant.  I've found that the etch will appear different if the etchant is 100F as opposed to 70F.

2017-07-30 09.55.39.jpg

2 minutes ago, TheoRockNazz said:

Absolutely, that was my second purchase after an angle grinder ;)

It's a little more challenging to establish the plunges on a blade with a forged in choil.  The belt tends to want to wonder a bit at first on those.  Once it gets established it's easier to control.  One of these days I'll get a 2x72, or build one. 

14 hours ago, jmccustomknives said:

It's a little more challenging to establish the plunges on a blade with a forged in choil.  The belt tends to want to wonder a bit at first on those.  Once it gets established it's easier to control.  One of these days I'll get a 2x72, or build one. 

I have no critique at all, that is a beautiful knife and sheath, excellent fit and finish, one to be truly proud of.

I've seen it suggested on these forums that if you want tidy plunge lines and don't have a suitable grinder you can file the plunges in with a file guide and a chainsaw file and then just grind into them afterwards. I've not tried this myself and I can't remember who suggested it but it seemed like a good tip so I stored it away for later use.

• 2 weeks later...