I Forge Iron

variable speed blower motor

loneronin

Saturday at a market I bought this electric fan that was part of a boiler. it works at 220V, I tried it works well. I would use it for my forge. I would have the advantage of not having to turn the crank any more.

I will have to make a small frame to hook it to the forge table and I thought to add a gate in front of the suction hole to regulate the air flow.

I also wondered if it would be possible to add a motor rotation speed regulator. I think of the classic light dimmer for example. risk of burning the motor according to you? does it take a particular regulator?

[2000W 220V AC SCR Electric Voltage Regulator Motor Speed Control Controller] regulator would be better than the dimmer?

First thing I want to avoid burning the motor!

IMG_1597_576x768.JPG

IMG_1600_576x768.JPG

IMG_1605_576x768.JPG

IMG_1606_576x768.JPG

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got an electric air mover from Amazon.  Hardwired a 16 ga. 25 ft extension cord to it using a power strip as a switch.  Plugged the male end into the power strip, flipped the switch on and it blew like a small hurricane.  Then I got fancy and attempted to wire a variable speed switch between the motor and power strip.  When I flipped the switch again I got a nice flash from my vari speed switch but the motor kept running.  My wife tripped out with the flash thought the house was burning down.  I then read the instructions a little more carefully, they said "Some configurations require an EARTH ground, so a ground wire is not included with this switch."  The ground point on the switch wasn't even identified.  I had to laugh.  I was out $20 for a switch and was set up for failure from the Get Go.  The sparks were kind of pretty though.  I'm using dimmer switches from Home Depot from now on.  Cheaper and easier to get.  Oh and I'm grounding to the motor case next time.  The switch might still blow but sooner or later I get it to work.

My motor is only a 120 VAC motor.  I think a dimmer switch would work without burning up the motor.  I plan to have it vary the input voltage.  The frequency, 60 cycles should not be effected by the dimmer switch.  The resistor should only drop voltage not change frequency of the input.  Now if there were an output voltage from the motor, the speed of the motor would determine the output frequency. 

Oh Lord have mercy <shaking his head in dismay> Are you going to tell us about the time you stuck your finger in the wall socket next? We try to teach proper and safe operations here, and you just blew that all to hades, the instructions also included a statement of  .. only to be installed by qualified personnel, if you were qualified you would have known about the ground wire location 

I worked on and taught troubleshooting and repair of Mobile Electric Power Plants in the Navy for about 20 years.  120 VAC 400 freq, 220 VAC 400 freq, 440 VAC 400 freq. Also developed computer based training for the Military on the same gear.  But I suck at house current.  I'll figure it out with a little help from my friends on IFI.