I Forge Iron

Greetings From Newfoundland, Canada

Serial Hobbyist

Greetings! 

I used to lurk as a unregistered member just gleaning over posts to gather as much basic info/intel as I possibly could before attempting to build a gas forge of my own. This has been by far the most reliable and most informative of any forum/website I've come across. 

I've finally decided this time I'm going to build myself a decent forge. No more procrastinating and no more putting off what I see as a rewarding hobby. Only this time I plan on building my forge using the best possible instructions as possible and not rely too heavily on the myriad of designs etc, found all over Youtube.  Just when I believed I'd come across a decent looking forge assembly, a quick read through the comments of the uploaded video proved otherwise and some comments proved the build was downright dangerous and/or a complete waste of time and resources. 

Being in Canada has been challenging at best in acquiring half decent materials to start a build from scratch. Even worse when living on an island! My first order of business was tracking down half decent Kaowool (or equivalent) that wouldn't break the bank! I finally decided it would be cheaper (although still much more than expected) to buy a full roll/box from an American company and have it shipped directly to my house rather than buying bits and pieces here and there as a hodge-podge of unknown density fire wool. I now have a full unopened box of 8#, 25 foot roll, (50sq/ft) by 2 feet wide by 1" thick of Inswool Fire Wool. I'm now waiting on some ITC-100 (or equivalent) which I forgot to order at the same time as the fire wool. I plan on building a gas forge and a separate casting furnace.

Now time to research and build a few burners in addition to my forge and furnace! 

At any rate, I'm a retired from the Canadian Armed Forces and have way too much time on my hands not to be doing something I've wanted to do for ages! 

Thank you folks and I look forward to being a productive and hopefully a contributing member of this great community! 

Good Morning and Welcome from the left Coast,

There is no perfect size or style of Forge. I have a Forge made from a 1 1/2" pipe tee, added a couple pieces of pipe to support the piece that is being heated. Flared a short nipple for the air intake in the middle. Someone said it couldn't be done, guess what!! Do not start with a large container, start with whatever you have at hand. Fire-brick works too!!

Enjoy the Journey, K.I.S.S. Don't make it complicated.

Add your location to your Avatar, this lets people know where you are. Often, help is not far away.

Neil

Welcome aboard.

You are from Newfoundland.

It's a big province.

Are you in St. John's, Corner Brook, Gander, Stephenville, etc. There is a long car ride between the first two mentioned. Over 200 miles if I remember correctly. It's been a while.

I'm just a little curious.

Anyway there is an enormous amount of information here for good reading and a lot of expertise.

Regards,

SLAG.