I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Dating?

from what I found out about my PW is that if it's not stamped "ENGLAND" than it is pre 1910. I also think if it has the Solid Wrought stamp it's after 1850 or 60 or something. There are a few other things I read about to tell the date but I can't remember. It's rather hard to find anything about them. That's a beautiful anvil though.

• 2 weeks later...

This Peter Wright dating thing keeps coming back up again and again from a couple weeks ago so I'll put my 2 cents in...

Years ago I knew a gal in Poughkeepsie who had a nice Peter Wright but I'm pretty sure she's married now so you can forget the whole dating thing unless you happen upon another nice gal like her with another nice anvil.

• 2 years later...

Trying to date this peter wright anvil.  I got from a guy in Slidell Louisiana in 2005 that went by Crazy Cajun Dave. He gave it to me for helping pioneer a road into the woods where Katrina carried his shrimp boat out of his yard and off its trailer. It's stamped Peter Wright Patent 1 1 19. The two ones are separate from each other and the 19. Don't know how to add photo via Url.

Peter Wright didn't use serial numbers. I recall that they used multiple piece tops until 1885 (I think) then switched to single piece tops. After 1910 ish, they had "England" stamped with the logo. The older ones were more blocky shaped, later ones a bit more refined looking. Generally with PW's you can date them within a range, but not a specific date. This based on weakening memory of a borrowed copy of AIA. I need my own copy.

Steve