I Forge Iron

Here is my forge...

AndrewB

You may critique it how ever you like.  But I said I would post a couple of photos of the forge when it was completed.  Here they are.  I did run some tests with the Hair dryer as the air source into the piping.  That well yea just flopped and failed not enough air pressure.  The second test was with my shop vac.   The shop vac actually was forcing more air through my piping and yea it should work with the shop vac a lot better than the vacuum.  How ever as I said the forge isn't perfect it's probably a tad bit on the crude side.  But it should work.  The stand like I said is basically the bbq shell.  The fire pot itself is the break drum.  The break drum sits perfectly inside the shell lined with a bit of refracting cement.  In one of the pictures you can see the air supply connected to the forge itself.  No the coal by the table is not the coal I'm going to be using.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Capture.PNG

Most brake drum forges use 2” pipe. 2” gas pipe is common but having a 2” tuyere welded up from either exhaust  pipe or square tubing works And Is generaly cheaper. $50 last I checked).an ash dump is generaly a good idea as well. Honestly a hairdryer is generaly more than enough air. As mentioned other blowers work well and are quieter. Bath fans, exhaust boosters for high effecency furnaces and hot water heaters are good and generaly available as scrap from plumbers and hvac shops. Other options exist as well. 

This will do for now.  Once I get my arc welder I will be able to do more.  So I will actually be able to weld parts together and all that good stuff.  But for now this will have to suffice until I can get properly set up build a proper stand onto the break drum and a proper air intake and ash dump flow.  I do plan on cleaning out the pot entirely after each forge for now.  Once I get all of my tools to do a proper set up I will be better off.  The break drum will be completely removed from the BBq shell and will be on a stand by itself and yes I will as well have proper piping then.  But the current way it is set up the airflow into the system is plentiful.  This again like I said is just to get me started.

I will know if it works when I test it next month...

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Pictures of how the air system hooks up to the bottom of the forge pot?  Looks  like you have a reduction in size there.

I did it just a bit differently so the drum would fit properly into the shell but at least it will be portable