I Forge Iron

Roninwarrior's Forge

roninwarrior

Figured I would start a project page to keep track of my progress.

First attempt at building a burner, getting forge setup

Put together a burner tonight just to see if I could get it working properly. It seems ok but def needs to be tuned. Not sure if I am getting enough air/too much air in the burner. Cut off one end of a air compressor tank. Have enough Kaowool for 2 inches of insulation on the way as well as some Satanite for coating. Don't really want to throw down for the ITC-100 at the moment to keep costs down. Have a few fire bricks and was just gonna set one on the floor  and use two others to create a "door." 

Here is a part list that I used for the burner:

3/4" pipe nipple, 8" long
3/4" to 1-1/2" pipe reducer
3/4" to 1" pipe reducer
1" pipe nipple for flare, (3" long)
1/8" Brass cap
1/8" Brass nipple, 3" long
1/8" to 1/4" Brass reducer
1/4" to 3/8" Brass fitting to connect to propane
Ball valve
0.35 mig tip

First firing of the burner just to see if it will work, I think it needs some tuning ;)

Here are some pics:

Cluttered Workbench

3EhBsVf.jpg

Forge Burner all put together

My8gfQh.jpg

Looking down the burner, you can see the MIG tip

leqJLJk.jpg

Looking up the burner

w4t3Jdg.jpg

Air compressor forge in progress....
I have Kaowool and Satanite on the way. 

WD79cE8.jpg

Air compressor inside. 
I attached a pipe nipple after drilling a 2" hole using conduit rings. It seems solid....

TCOArse.jpg

Edited by Mod34
resized photos

Put wool in the forge and first thin layer of satanite. It's super cold here so gonna let it dry for a bit before the next layer.

Got some 1084 in and started my first attempt at a knife. Using stock removal with the 1x30 grinder. Got some ceramic belts. 

Working good so far. Getting used to grinding properly and just practicing!  

40N6aQf.jpg

YJj7TmQ.jpg

H9uSnGW.jpg

gMBBgsv.jpg?1

Edited by Mod34
resized photos

Ronin,

I think you have a bad case of almost good enough. The good news is that everything I see can be brought up to perfectly good enough, without a lot of inconvenient changes. Starting with your burner; it is just good enough...if you had an acceptable flame nozzle; these are easy to build and also cheap to buy from Larry Zoeller Forge. I have seen really hot flames coming out of burners with reducer fittings as flame nozzles, but they weren't coming from  "just good enough" burners, and the percentage of burners that produce a really hot flame with such a nozzle is about on a par as big winners in LasVegas

You need to stuff some extra ceramic blanket into that gap at the top of your forge's insulation, and then use silica rigidizer as a kind of glue to stick it to the existing blanket; otherwise, the gap will grow as the ceramic fibers shrink.

That looks like an insulating firebrick, which won't last; try to find a piece of high alumina kiln shelf to replace it with. You do need some hard firebrick to use as a movable wall; a baffle to push parts through, and to keep radiant heat from leaving the forge with its exhaust gas.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, Mikey98118 said:

I think you have a bad case of almost good enough. The good news is that everything I see can be brought up to perfectly good enough, without a lot of inconvenient changes.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Real good info and at least it looks like I'm on the right path as a newbie

On 2/16/2018 at 9:23 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

One piece of advice I can give concerns your pictures. They are very large and need to be resized so they load faster and take up less bandwidth. There are a lot of members who do not have high speed internet (some still use dial-up).

Will do!

• 7 months later...

Shop area. Some basic stuff. Small drill press, Harbor Fright 1x30 belt grinder and forge running. Pretty simple setup but that's what I got for now.

YM9jX9b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makeshift anvil that I put together. Cold rolled steel round, measures about 15" long and diameter of 3.5 ". Set it into concrete with a solid wood base. Seems pretty sturdy.

ggvvmhz.jpg

1U2lDAh.jpg

Working on first forged item. Pair of tongs. Needs a good bit of work yet but I'm moving metal and making progress!

tmUPf9z.jpg

XxIBQYP.jpg

On 2/16/2018 at 9:23 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

One piece of advice I can give concerns your pictures. They are very large and need to be resized so they load faster and take up less bandwidth. There are a lot of members who do not have high speed internet (some still use dial-up).

If you're not able to resize the photos before you upload them, you can do so after you post. Just click "edit" at the bottom of your post and double click on a photo. A window will pop up to allow you to change the number of pixels in the width; I usually go with 500 for a horizontal photo and 350 for a vertical.

Photos resized as a courtesy. Please do this yourself in future; if you are uploading from a phone and cannot resize them yourself in the half hour editing window, click "report post" in the upper right corner and ask a mod to do it for you.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

If you're not able to resize the photos before you upload them, you can do so after you post. 

Awesome. I for the life of me could not figure that out. 

2 hours ago, Mod34 said:

Photos resized as a courtesy. Please do this yourself in future; if you are uploading from a phone and cannot resize them yourself in the half hour editing window, click "report post" in the upper right corner and ask a mod to do it for you.

Absolutely. Sorry about that