I Forge Iron

First Leaf!

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Not bad at all. Nice induction heater. 

Thanks. I really like it. There are real limitations in size and shape I can forge as well as when I need a long even heat. The trade off is that I turn it on and 30 seconds later, my stock is at a forging heat. I have very little time these days to forge and anything I get is due to the time saved with the induction forge. 

Yep, that's a good effort wrong-handed. I wish I could hammer with my left hand. It would save some tennis elbow strain on the right.

And judging by the look on his face and the camera in his hand, you really made your friend's day letting him forge in your shop.

He’s my coworker and lives in Louisville. I’m in San Diego. We had a work meeting here and when he left home they were looking at 10” if snow. It’s been in the 70s and sunny every day here. After the meeting, he had his family fly out for vacation. 

So rather than shoveling snow, he’s been going to the beach, riding my tandem bicycle (with mid seat), and now learning to blacksmith. 

So that’s the look of a guy in the middle of a good vacation!

With regards to forging with both hands, I heard it said once that one of the two most important skills to be a good surgeon was being completely ambidextrous (the other was being able to visualize in three dimensions). Never thought of it before, but that would be awfully handy (heh heh) in blacksmithing, too.